FOR YOUR EARS ONLY: Taking Back Sunday: “New Again”

Taking Back Sunday attempts to lay claim to a new sound in its latest album “New Again.” In the three-year gap between “New Again” and its 2006 album “Louder Now,” new lead guitarist Matt Fazzi shifted the band’s approach toward its lyrics and musical composition to a more mainstream direction, which can be easily detected in its song titled “New Again.”

The album offers a variation of songs that range from an upbeat pace and a pop sound in “Sink Into Me” to a slower and harder style of music heard in “Cut Me Up Jenny.” Many of the songs have a repetitive feeling. They end with fading one-liners from the chorus, and songs neither build off nor relate to previous ones. Although, some songs such as “Summer, Man” and “Everything Must Go” do stand out among the whole with their well-rounded and balanced forms.

The album delivers well as a whole, each song carrying a unique variation in tones and lyrical content those who are not familiar with Taking Back Sunday’s older albums would easily enjoy. However, “New Again” was not necessarily made for the hardcore fans loyal to Taking Back Sunday’s original musical style. The CD is a preview into a new era of Taking Back Sunday’s music and personality and is worth looking into whether you’re a loyal fan of the band or are simply looking for a new album to add to your collection.

For more information on Taking Back Sunday, visit www.takingbacksunday.com.

Check out Taking Back Sunday’s “New Again” on iTunes!