CSU students walk out

Students, faculty and staff rallied at SDSU last Thursday to protest higher tuition and fees at CSU campuses. | Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

“Education under attack, fight back!” was the chant heard by passersby last Thursday from the Scripps Cottage Patio.

San Diego State joined in the day of statewide demonstrations along with San Diego City College and the University of California at San Diego. The protest was against budget cuts as well as the ongoing argument against the privatization of public universities and colleges.

One of the highlights was the rally’s goal, which was urging the government to prioritize public education funding. Many petitions, including the Millionaires Tax Initiative that opposes Gov. Jerry Brown’s proposal to increase income taxes on those who earn $1 million a year, were made accessible to students and faculty during the rally.

“We are the 99 percent,” Africana studies professor Charles Toombs said. “We are the ones that are supposed to make the decisions.”

A 40 percent increase in faculty cuts have been affecting class quality, according to the Chair of the European Studies Department, Anne Donadey.

“I am the one responsible for informing my colleagues and some even long-time friends that there is no more work for them,” Donadey said.

Ian Green, who performed a song about tuition increases, said the situation was a “learning tragedy.” The social science senior said the government is spending money in the wrong areas, and students are suffering the consequences.

“How do they expect us to succeed?” criminal justice freshman Kimberly Ramirez said. “We don’t even have an accessible education to help us succeed.”

Student debt has now surpassed credit card debt, exceeding $1 trillion, according to the Federal Bank Reserve of New York.

Alicia Nicols, SDSU graduate and rally organizer, had one message for administrators: “We are students, not customers, and an investment rather than an expense.”

“As a sociologist, this is my opportunity to put this into practice,” SDSU activist Ashley Wardle said. “I was a TA last semester and I spoke to many students that due to increase of fees were unable to pay for tuition. As a teacher, that broke my heart.”

Wardle, who was arrested at a CSU Board of Trustees meeting in Long Beach, was satisfied with the outcome of the rally, but said she hopes to recruit more students who are troubled by tuition increases to future events.

After speakers concluded their arguments, the walkout continued by walking toward Manchester Hall to meet with President Elliot Hirshman. Protesters continued to chant and once the ralliers arrived they were told Hirshman was “out looking for donors.”

A banner with the words, “Pest: housing crisis. Failure: student debt” was left outside of Manchester Hall.

CSU students walk out