SDSU proves itself at the UCSD Invitational

The Aztecs’ next meet will be the Occidental Invite on May 5. | Adriana Bush, Contributor

The San Diego State women’s track and field team continues to prove it is a small team with big talents.

SDSU competed in the UC San Diego invitational at the Triton Stadium in La Jolla on Friday and Saturday.

“Everybody did good from what I saw,” junior sprinter Alex Evans said. “Almost everybody improved from last week.”

The two-day meet began Friday morning when junior pole vaulter Moriah Roberge placed second in pole vault after she cleared a height of 12-2.

Pole vaulting alongside Roberge were sophomores Heather Arseneau, Kelsie Jarratt and Rebecca Turnbow who all tied for third.

Friday afternoon, senior Whitney Ashley placed second in discus with a throw of 178-4.

On Saturday, junior Josefine Koskinen placed second in the 1,500 meter run with a time of 4:33.85 and Evans placed fourth in the 100-meter hurdles and hit a personal record of 14.21 seconds.

Continuing the winning streak for the Aztecs was sophomore Allison Reaser who placed first in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 58.37.

Sophomore Carrington Mahr placed fourth in high jump with a height of 5-2, junior Kelsy Hintz placed third in pole vault, clearing a height of 13-10, and senior Thoraya Maronsey tied for second in triple jump.

Ending the two-day invitational was junior Marianne Hogan, who placed third in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 17:46.17.

Last weekend the Aztecs competed in both the Mt. San Antonio College Relays and Beach Invitational.

At the Mt. SAC relays Ashley threw the fourth best mark in the country and sophomore Shanieka Thomas hit the second-best triple jump mark in the U.S.

At the Beach Invitational freshmen Jasmine Burrell won the discus throw and tied for fifth in shot put, Reaser placed third in the 400-meter hurdles and fifth in the 100-meter hurdles.

SDSU must now prepare for the Occidental Invite on Saturday in Los Angeles, which is its last meet before the Mountain West Outdoor Championships.

“We just need to work hard, continue to work hard and make sure we do everything we need to do to win,” Evans said.