SDSU preps for MW Championships at Oxy

The next meet for SDSU women’s track and field will take place this week in Colorado Springs, Colo. as the team begins the MW Outdoor Championships. | Courtesy of Adriana Bush

The San Diego State women’s track team sent seven of its athletes to compete at the Oxy Invitational last weekend.

On Saturday SDSU competed at the Oxy Invitational at the W.C. Patterson Field and Bill Henry Track in Los Angeles.

This was the last opportunity the Aztecs had to work on their running, jumping and throwing techniques in a meet setting before the Mountain West Outdoor Championships.

The Oxy Invitational began Saturday morning with sophomore Holly Waseloff pole vaulting a height of 12-4 1/2 and sophomore Rebecca Turnbow pole vaulting a height of 10-10 3/4. Finishing the jumps for the Aztecs was senior Thoraya Maronsey who jumped a season’s best of 37-6 3/4 in the triple jump.

The only Aztec thrower in the meet was senior Ellie Fanaika who threw 181-4 in the hammer throw.

Junior Josefine Koskinen and sophomore Hannah Winokur both competed in the 800-meter run. However, Koskinen ran it in a time of 2:07.87 and Winokur ran it in a time of 2:20.89.

The 5,000-meter run was the last race of the day and junior Marianne Hogan ran it in a season-best of 17:23.11.

Hogan also competed in the last race of the meet last weekend when SDSU competed in the UC San Diego Invitational.

At the UCSD invitational sophomore Allison Reaser won the 400-meter hurdles, senior Whitney Ashley placed second all-time at SDSU in shot put, Koskinen placed second in the 1,500-meter run, junior Kelsy Hintz placed third in pole vault, Maronsey tied for second in triple jump and Hogan placed third in the 5,000-meter run.

Every track meet this season, SDSU has been competitive. In the latest meets, it has continued to improve and used each meet as a learning opportunity to prepare for the MW Outdoor Championships.

The MW Outdoor Championships, which is the next stop for the Aztecs, will take place Wednesday through Friday in Colorado Springs, Colo.

After the championships it will be the NCAA West Regionals followed by the NCAA Championships and then the U.S. Olympic Trials for those who qualify.

SDSU preps for MW Championships at Oxy