World news 08.20.2012

Obama’s Immigration Policy

An immigration policy signed by President Barack Obama was officially launched this month. This executive order, titled Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, allows immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children to apply for jobs without fear of deportation. Any such immigrant who fills out an application can legally live and work in the United States for at least two years.

Olympics close

The closing ceremony held in London’s Olympic Stadium on Aug. 12 marked the conclusion of the 2012 Olympic Games. The ceremony featured performances by some of Britain’s most iconic music groups and ended with the traditional passing of the torch to Rio de Janeiro, where the next Summer Olympics will be held. Overall, Team USA led this year’s games with a final count of 104 medals, followed by China with 88 medals and Great Britain with 65 medals.

Syrian Civil War spreads

What started as an uprising between citizens and the government of Syria in March 2011 has since escalated into full blown civil war. Recently, the hostility has spread beyond the borders of Syria and into Lebanon, where violent attempts to recapture Syrian refugees have disturbed many of the nation’s larger cities. Lebanese officials fear the overflow of the Syrian turmoil into Lebanon threatens to weaken the nation to a state that is reminiscent of its own civil war, which ended in 1990.

World news 08.20.2012