Fun classes offer a break in schedule

Busy class schedules and heavy workloads can make it difficult for students to find time to do what they enjoy or try something new. The Mission Bay Aquatic Center, located on Santa Clara Place right off Mission Boulevard, offers one-unit water sport courses through the San Diego State School of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences. These courses allow students to fit exciting water activities into their school schedules.

“There are so many cool options that can fit into almost any schedule,” Instructional manager Kevin Straw said. Throughout the fall semester, the MBAC offers courses from Tuesday through Saturday including sailing, kayaking, wakeboarding and surfing.

By enrolling in such classes, students can take as many classes as they want. Straw said some students take back-to-back classes on Fridays when they don’t have to be on campus.

Students are able to have fun and earn college credit at the same time.

“Nowhere else can you find this good of a deal,” MBCA office supervisor Amanda Burgess said.

Burgess added the cost of a semester long class is approximately the same as a weekend class at other facilities.

Brittany Fulks, an SDSU senior who took a wakeboarding class, said the instructors were knowledgeable about the sports and skilled at teaching students techniques.

“I would do it again and again and again,” Fulks said. “Whatever you want to learn, they can teach you.”

This semester, the MBAC added more sections to its new stand up paddling class. Burgess said the class takes place in the bay, where students learn paddling skills and techniques, while also practicing yoga and fitness routines on the water.

Before jumping right into downward dog in the middle of Mission Bay, students learn the correct paddling strokes and balancing techniques.

Instructors show students how to practice these skills on land while standing on top of a board resting on two BOSU balls.

After practicing, students have no problem on the water.

Students receive instant feedback as they paddle alongside their instructors, improving their techniques as they go.

For people new to water sports, these classes offer an opportunity to use new muscles.

Students can register for these classes through WebPortal. Fees range from about $100 to $300 for the semester.

Fun classes offer a break in schedule