Look before you book

The beginning of a new semester means new class schedules and textbooks. Because textbooks are an important part of course success in classes, buying them is a no- brainer. Getting them at a reasonable cost may not always be so easy.

During the first few weeks of the semester, the San Diego State Bookstore will be filled with students purchasing and renting textbooks. Although the campus bookstore is a convenient place to buy or rent textbooks, it is not the only option. Alternative options for an Aztec seeking textbooks are available online or through local textbook shops.

kb books

KB Books is a textbook shop with locations at SDSU, San Diego City College, Miramar College and Mesa College. Students have the option of buying or renting brand new

or pre-owned textbooks, and all at competitive prices. The company’s website not only offers online listings on all books in stock, but also allows customers to compare prices between their store and various websites offering the same textbooks.

ONLINE SITES

Amazon.com and eCampus. com not only allow users to purchase or rent used or new textbooks for discounted rates but also sell back textbooks. If a budgetcallsforusedtextbooks, Textbooks.com is a great source for a variety of discounted pre- owned books for every subject.

craigslist

SDSU has a large community of students who no longer

need their textbooks. Go online and check if the book is on the Craigslist database. Try and negotiate the price and then meet up with the person at a local Starbucks.

Whenpurchasingtextbooks, it helps to remember there are multiple options out there. It’s easy to compare prices between websites and stores to ensure that you are getting the best deal, and renting used textbooks instead of buying new can knock hundreds of dollars off your purchase. Before spending an exorbitant amount of money on books, it’s always smart to weigh the alternatives and make sure you are getting the best deal.

Look before you book