Services support healthy living

Thinkstock

We’ve all heard the stories of the infamous “freshman 15,” but it seems lately the trends of unhealthy habits in college have shifted to healthier ones. According to a recent study, on average, freshmen gain between 2.5 to 3.5 pounds throughout the course of their first year of college.

According to the article, “The Freshman 15: A Critical Time for Obesity Intervention or Media Myth?” by Jay Zagorsky, a research scientist at Ohio State University and Patricia Smith, a social scientist at University of Michigan-Dearborn, the average freshman gains only an additional half-pound in the first year.

Regardless of whether the freshman 15 is a myth or not, San Diego State offers free services to encourage healthy living. The Student Health Services website elaborates on these services, which include weight management, dietary advice and other general nutrition needs.

According to Registered Dietitian and Adjunct Professor, Tracy Daly, the service has been a providing service for more than 10 years, and currently helps many students.

But Daly feels not enough students are aware of the services provided on campus.

“It’s just hard to catch 30,000 students,” Daly said.

The program begins with a form for students to fill out, which cover aspects such as weight goals, sleep patterns and a typical day’s eating habits.

Daly personally reviews each form to make sure the student’s needs are appropriate for the program, referring those with higher needs to other services in the community that are better suited. Daly or one of eight student nutrition counselors meets with students on an individual basis. Daly said students usually come in to discuss healthy eating options on campus.

Compared to other universities, Daly said SDSU makes efforts to promote a healthy environment.

“I personally think that there are a lot of healthy eating options on this campus. People just don’t know what to look for,” Daly said. “I think SDSU does a really good job of offering healthy programs.”

Anyone interested in nutritional and health planning can visit Student Health Services at Calpulli Center, 3201.

Services support healthy living