Out-of-state students fuel revenue into CSU system

San Diego State will not accept new California resident applications for the spring 2013 semester. However, SDSU is accepting out-of-state and international applicants. At first, this seems unfair, but out-of-state students are currently one of the school’s largest sources of revenue.

Within the past few years, SDSU utilized tuition costs from out-of- state and international students to help fill the budget deficit the California State University System has encountered. At the beginning of the economic downturn in 2008, SDSU received $221 million in state funding. The state provided the school with $103 million.

“While (out-of-state students) don’t add a significant amount to make up some of that state appropriation, every little bit does help,” Associated Students President Rob O’Keefe said.

“For every 100 out-of-state and international students that come to SDSU, that comes out to around $1 million in revenue for our school, mainly because they pay out-of-state tuition.”

This is one of the first years SDSU has actively recruited out-of-state students through the American Language Institute, study abroad programs and international programs at local community colleges. National recognition for SDSU’s sports program also draws the public eye to the university and boosts the number of out-of- state applicants.

The criteria for in-state students and out-of-state students differ. The amount of in-state students SDSU can accept depends on the amount of money the university receives from California. Meanwhile, out-of- state admission depends on the space available on campus.

“The first factor and most obvious one is space,” O’Keefe said. “The amount of sections and class courses available plays a huge part in the number of out of state students that we do admit.”

As long as SDSU has the space, the university will continue to accept as many out-of-state applicants as possible.

According to the chief academic officer of SDSU Provost, Nancy Marlin, the extra out-of-state tuition funds the faculty and staff. With more money, SDSU will open more course sections and hire more lecturers to accommodate the students.