Aztecs awarded for service

Katie Foster, Staff Photographer

On National Student Day, San Diego State students were recognized and rewarded for their community service. Prizes were offered to students and organizations that logged the most hours of community service within the month of September. This incentive to give back to the community resulted in a large increase in community service for the month and showcased SDSU’s dedication to giving back.

“This year, what we’re really celebrating is social responsibility and giving back to community,”

Associated Student’s Vice President of University Affairs Matt Cecil said. “Over 1440 hours of community service was actually done in the month of September, which is absolutely amazing.”

At the event, held on Oct. 4 inside the SDSU Bookstore, music played and desserts were offered as the winners were announced. The first place individual winner was Kristen Paruginog, who founded Break the Silence Against Domestic Violence, charity dedicated to raising awareness of domestic violence through education and leadership.

“We’re helping people save lives by telling our stories about domestic violence, educating the community, and also telling people about the importance of healthy relationships,” Paruginog said.

The first-place winner for an organization was Circle K, which oversees several service projects within the community, including, but not limited to feeding the homeless and helping Alzheimer’s patients with rehabilitation exercises. Circle K won the grand prize, a $1,000 SDSU Bookstore gift card.

“Basically, everyone that we help really is so grateful and so appreciative that what we do doesn’t feel like work. We really enjoy it and we really enjoy being able to help other people,” Circle K member Amanda Willis said.

Circle K contributed more than 480 hours of service for the month of September alone. All the winners and participants in this event demonstrated how great of an impact the students of SDSU have on their community by donating their time and effort. National Student Day highlighted this dedication and raised awareness of how rewarding and honorable volunteer service can be.

Aztecs awarded for service