Football power rankings

No. 22 Boise State (5-1 overall, 2-0 MWC)

The Broncos are still the class of the conference, debuting at No. 22 in the first Bowl Championship Series poll of the season. Their defense is the best in the league, allowing just 14.7 points per game. On Saturday, Boise State allowed just one touchdown to the high-scoring Fresno State offense.

Fresno State (4-3, 2-1)

Conventional wisdom might place the University of Nevada as the second best team in the conference, but Fresno State’s schedule begs to differ. The Bulldogs’ three losses have been to teams with a combined 17-2 record, including No. 3 University of Oregon. The Bulldogs have scored 25 or more points in all, but one game.

Nevada (6-1, 3-0)

On Saturday, the Wolf Pack overcame a 17-point halftime deficit to beat in-state rival University of Nevada, Las Vegas, who is just 1- 6. The Wolf Pack need to improve on defense if it hopes to stay undefeated in conference.

San Diego State (4-3, 2-1)

The Aztecs’ offense has scored 38 points or more in every game, but one. Senior quarterback Ryan Katz has emerged as a legitimate threat to run the ball along with running backs Adam Muema and Walter Kazee. A win this Saturday would go a long way toward securing a third straight bowl invite.

New Mexico (4-3, 1-1)

The Lobos have four wins through seven games this season one more than in the last two seasons combined. The rushing offense is ranked seventh best in the country at almost 280 yards a game.

Air Force (3-3, 2-1)

The Falcons have played every game close, including a narrow defeat on the road against ranked University of Michigan. Air Force is second in the nation with an average of 363 rushing yards per game.

Colorado State (1-6, 0-3)

The Rams have lost every game since beating rival the University of Colorado to open the season. The good news is the Rams get a visit from the awful University of Hawai’i this Saturday.

Wyoming (1-5, 0-2)

The Cowboys have kept almost every contest close, including an overtime loss to Nevada and three losses by three points or fewer. UNLV (1-6, 1-1)

The Rebels get ranked behind the Rams and Cowboys for blowing a huge lead last Saturday against in- state rival Nevada.

Hawai’i (1-5, 0-3)

The Warriors rank lower than 100 nationally in points allowed and points scored. They allow 42.3 points per game and score just 20.8 per game.

Football power rankings