Football power rankings

No. 22 Boise State (6-1 overall, 3-0 Mountain West)

Previous Ranking: 1

The Broncos had no trouble with the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on Saturday, cruising to a 32-7 victory on the blue turf in Boise. Boise State has now held five straight opponents scoreless in the first half after shutting out the Rebels for the first three quarters.

Fresno State (5-3, 3-1)

Previous Ranking: 2

The Bulldogs fell victim to Boise State’s stingy defense last week, but got back on track against Wyoming on Saturday, jumping out to a 35-0 halftime lead. Rashad Evans scored twice in the first quarter, including on a 78-yard punt return, and quarterback Derek Carr threw three first-half touchdowns.

San Diego State (5-3, 3-1)

Previous Ranking: 4

Backup quarterback Adam Dingwell led the Aztecs to an improbable win on the road at the University of Nevada after starter Ryan Katz left with an injury. Dingwell threw for two touchdowns in regulation and one in overtime to overcome a 10- point deficit and win the Aztecs’ first overtime game since 1998. He also completed a do-or-die two-point conversion in overtime to cap off his 21st birthday. As a result, the Aztecs jump the Wolf Pack in this week’s power rankings.

Nevada (6-2, 3-1)

Previous Ranking: 3

The Wolf Pack rushed for just 176 yards against SDSU on Saturday after averaging 285 rushing yards in its first seven games. The defense allowed 33 points in the second half and overtime after giving up just six in the first half. Stefphon Jefferson, the nation’s leading rusher going into Saturday’s game, finished with just 108 yards rushing and one touchdown.

Air Force (4-3, 3-1)

Previous Ranking: 6

Wes Cobb rushed for three touchdowns against New Mexico and the Falcons racked up 409 yards on the ground. This Friday, the Falcons take on Nevada in a battle of two of the best rushing offenses in the country.

New Mexico (4-4, 1-2)

Previous Ranking: 5

The Lobos couldn’t hang onto a 10- 0 lead against Air Force on Saturday, but they remain just two wins from bowl eligibility after only winning three games throughout the last three seasons. Running back Kasey Carrier finished the game with 338 yards rushing and three touchdowns. Colorado State (1-6, 0-3)

Previous Ranking: 7

The Rams didn’t lose on Saturday– because they had a bye week. Colorado State is averaging barely more than two touchdowns a game, although a visit from the porous University of Hawai’i defense should help improve the team’s scoring chances. Wyoming (1-6, 0-3)

Previous Ranking: 8

The Cowboys didn’t score until the second half of a 42-14 beatdown by Fresno State. They gained just 253 yards and were 2-of-17 on third- down conversions. The schedule gets more brutal as they welcome Boise State to Laramie next Saturday.

UNLV (1-7, 1-2)

Previous Ranking: 9

The Rebels became Boise State’s latest victim on Saturday, failing to score on the Broncos’ stingy defense until late in the fourth quarter. UNLV managed just 2.3 yards per pass and only 210 yards of offense. UNLV visits SDSU on Saturday.

Hawai’i (1-5, 0-3)

Previous Ranking: 10

Similar to Colorado State, the Warriors were spared another loss by their bye week. Hawai’i ranks 107th or worse in the country in passing yards, rushing yards, points scored and points allowed.

Football power rankings