A.S. refine restructure with bylaws

At Wednesday’s council meeting, San Diego State’s Associated Students will vote on the bylaws for the restructuring of the A.S. Council. At its meeting on Oct. 17, the council voted to implement a new governmental structure for the organization of A.S.

The new structure targets past issues, which have arisen in the council. The biggest changes are decentralization of A.S. government and specialization of the various functions, services and activities of A.S. In the new structure, instead of one council, multiple councils will focus on different A.S. responsibilities. The proposed A.S. structure will have four main outlets for students: the Board of Directors, Campus Life Council, Judicial Affairs Council and University Council. The branches contain different committees and boards to encompass all aspects of the SDSU community.

“This Wednesday, we will be voting on the bylaws that will govern the new structure,” A.S. Vice President of External Affairs Tom Rivera said. “These include, but are not limited to, membership of the various councils, the duties of council representatives and executive officers, meeting frequency, the jurisdiction and purpose of the individual councils, etc.”

The bylaws being voted on can be found on the A.S. website. Students are also welcome to attend the A.S. Council meeting and vote at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday at the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center.

A.S. refine restructure with bylaws