SDSU is ready to avenge last season’s loss to USD

Backcourt 

Aztecs: Senior guard Courtney Clements had 25 points and six rebounds in a big win against the University of Southern California on Friday. The performance helped Clements collect her second consecutive Player of the Week honor from the Mountain West Conference. Senior point guard Chelsea Hopkins also had a successful game against the Trojans, with 13 points, seven rebounds and five assists. The two seniors combine to average 29.3 points per game.

Toreros: University of San Diego also has the reigning West Coast Conference Player of the Week  junior guard Amy Kame. She won the honor after putting up this incredible stat line in the Air Force Tournament: 17.5 points, nine rebounds, eight steals and seven assists per game in the Toreros’ two wins. Junior guard Alysse Barlow provides a nice complement with 8.3 points per game.

Edge: Even

Frontcourt

Aztecs: Sophomore forward Erimma Amarikwa, a 6-foot-1 sophomore forward, leads the frontcourt with 9.7 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. The Aztecs rotate five players at the forward and center positions, each of which average between five and 10 points per game. Senior center Malia Nahinu is always a mismatch at 6 feet 6 inches tall.

Toreros: Sophomore forward Katelyn McDaniel and freshman forward Maya Hood don’t start, but both play big minutes and average more than 10 points per game. McDaniel has made 21-of-24 field goals and 21-of-23 free throws, while playing just 19.7 minutes per game.

Edge: Aztecs

Intangibles

Aztecs: The Aztecs have faced some stiff competition this season, which has prepared them for difficult opponents such as USD. After winning the MWC regular season and tournament titles last season and reaching the NCAA Tournament, SDSU’s experience demonstrates its advantage against USD. SDSU surely does not want to lose the city championship, either.

Toreros: USD is 6-1 and currently riding a five-game winning streak. The Toreros will be playing at home in the Jenny Craig Pavillion after traveling to Viejas Arena last year and beating the Aztecs 56-45.

Edge: Toreros

Prediction

Aztecs 66, Toreros 59