Preview: SDSU vs. Nevada

Backcourt 

Aztecs: Senior guards Courtney Clements and Chelsea Hopkins make up one of the most dynamic backcourts in the country. Clements leads the Aztecs in scoring at 17.3 points per game, while Hopkins averages 13 points per game and leads the team with 7.3 rebounds, 7.3 assists and 1.6 steals per game.

Wolf Pack: Senior Chanelle Brennan, who scored 22 points in Saturday’s loss to Fresno State, and junior Danika Sharp start in the backcourt and are the featured scorers of the Wolf Pack.

Edge: Aztecs

Frontcourt

Aztecs: Malia Nahinu at 6-foot-6 casts an imposing figure in the middle of the floor for the Aztecs. The senior center combines with forwards Gabrielle Clark and Erimma Amarikwa in the starting lineup, and the three combine to average 21.8 points, 14.4 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game.

Wolf Pack: Sophomore forward Emily Burns is the Wolf Pack’s best low post player, averaging 6.6 points, but leads the team with 6.8 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game. She has struggled with shooting this season, only making 32 percent of her shots from the field.

Edge: Aztecs

Intangibles

Aztecs: The Aztecs four non-conference losses came at the hands of three very good Pac-12 teams and No. 14 ranked Oklahoma State. Their one conference loss was to a solid Fresno squad. They are 7-2 at Viejas Arena and 3-1 in the Mountain West Conference. If the Aztecs continue to focus on defense, this one could be done very quickly.

Wolf Pack: Nevada is just 2-6 in road and neutral games, including a 92-41 loss at Wyoming in its first road game as a member of the Mountain West. The team lost six of its last seven games.

Edge: Aztecs

Coaching

Aztecs: Head coach Beth Burns has built one of the best and most consistent teams in the MWC. The Aztecs this season have routinely beaten inferior opponents and started the conference season strong. After an opening conference loss to Fresno at Viejas Arena, Burns led the Aztecs on a successful two-win road trip before returning home for a win against Wyoming last Saturday.

Wolf Pack: Head coach Jane Albright is in her fifth year with the Wolf Pack. She’s led her Nevada team to one 20-win season in 2010-11, although the 2011-12 team struggled. This year’s team is 6-10 on the season and 1-2 in conference play.

Edge: Aztecs

Prediction:

Preview: SDSU vs. Nevada