National Sports Beat

Tiger Woods clenches win at Torrey Pines

Tiger Woods is in the headlines again. But this time not for his past, how well he hasn’t been playing or how his talents have been slowly deteriorating. It’s for finishing his 75th PGA Tour title at the Farmers Insurance Open last weekend.

This is the seventh time Woods has won this tournament and the eighth time he has won at Torrey Pines, thus setting a PGA Tour record.

The tournament took place Jan. 24 through Jan. 28 and suffered several delays because of bad weather.

Woods’ 4-shot win is generating a lot of discussion among fans, analysts and competitors: Is Woods finally back?

Despite, what his critics may be saying, Woods is feeling optimistic about the upcoming year.

“I’m excited about this year. I’m excited about what I’m doing with Sean (Foley) and some of the things that I’ve built,” Woods told The Associated Press. “This is a nice way to start the year.”

Harbaugh answers Obama about football safety 

Football has always been physical and will remain physical, especially as the popularity of the sport continues to grow.

The San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh hopes this aspect of the game will never change, even with the recently publicized concerns of the president.  Not only for the sake of the sport, but also for players pursuing a professional career.

At a recent news conference, Harbaugh said he has high hopes his 5-month-old son will one day play football.

This was in response to President Barack Obama saying to The New Republic that if he had a son he would think twice about letting him play football.

Harbaugh told reporters at the news conference, “If President Obama feels that way, then there will be a little bit less competition for Jack Harbaugh when he gets old.”

As long as football remains a sport, people will continue to question the safety of its players.

Debates continue regarding Ray Lewis.

The Super Bowl will officially mark the end of the Ray Lewis era and people are already talking about who the MVP should or shouldn’t be.

Many would love to see Lewis end his 17-year football career with another Super Bowl ring and perhaps another opportunity to say, “I’m going to Walt Disney World,” as MVP.

However, others feel he doesn’t deserve MVP after accusations of banned drug use and because of his altercation in January 2000, which resulted in Lewis’ guilty plea to a misdemeanor for obstruction of justice.

The Super Bowl is now only four days away and both fans and naysayers of Lewis are anxious to see who the next Super Bowl MVP will be.

National Sports Beat