The downfall of kid’s TV

I’m 21 years old and have been watching TV for as long as I can remember. When my aunt would babysit me, she’d turn on the TV and let me watch while she did God knows what. I believe that when I was a kid, we had the best cartoons ever. I remember watching “Pinky and the Brain,” “Pokémon” and “Dexter’s Lab,” (I grew up in Mexico, so I might have had a different selection than some of you).  I’ve grown up a lot since then, but when I get the chance, I still watch those shows.

Nowadays, I’m an older brother. I have a 9-year-old sister who loves TV as much as I do, yet I’m not sure her favorite TV shows match the quality of the ones I used to watch. I usually watch TV with her, but by the time the episode is finished, I just want to lie on my bed in the fetal position because of how bad the shows are. The worst part is that she loves them. Actually, the absolute worst part is that they’re always reruns that my sister watches repeatedly. In the course of a week, she watches the same episode of “Lab Rats”—for those of you who have no idea what that is, I’ll get to it—about six times during that week. I don’t have a problem with her watching TV, but the shows suck so bad, it makes me wonder why she likes them. With that said, I give you a list of the three TV shows my little sister made me hate.

“Pair of Kings” starring Mitchel Musso, Larramie “Doc” Shaw and Adam Hicks.

Premise: After two orphan brothers in Chicago learn their parents were the king and queen of a remote island somewhere in the middle of the ocean, they take their parents’ places as co-kings of the island. The series revolves around the high jinks they get into as kings.

Problem: My initial problem with this show is that my little sister likes it, so whenever it’s on, she watches it. It gets incredibly annoying because Musso has a certain prickishness in his character that makes me want to throw whatever is closest to me at the TV. As some of you might know, after Musso was caught drinking under the influence, he was kicked off the show. I immediately thanked the TV gods for this, but the TV gods giveth and the TV gods taketh away. Instead of ending the show, the TV executives asked, “Why not send Musso’s character away and make up a new character to be the third brother?” Enter Adam Hicks. So the show goes on. The funniest thing, though, is that none of them look alike and yet they try to play triplets.

“Lab Rats” Starring Hal Sparks (One of VH1’s comedians) along with a bunch of people you probably don’t know.

Premise: After his mom marries a rich inventor, Leo (Tyrel Williams) discovers there are teenage bionic humans living in his basement who use their bionic powers to solve crises such as meteors heading toward Earth and runaway trains. The family decides to take the bionic kids to school to try and give them a regular life.

Problem: Who builds bionic kids? I mean, why make them kids? This show just gives off a weird feeling of pedophilia. If you’re building someone to stop something from destroying the world, why not make adults? Also, if you find out the man you married built kids, why take them to school? That’s certainly a deal breaker. When you see that, it’s time to pick your bags up and go.

“Wild Grinders” starring Rob Dyrdek.

Premise: Young Rob and his crew skate the days away while also getting themselves into trouble. Hilarity ensues.

Problem: I don’t really have a problem with the show itself, but I know what Rob Dyrdek does in his spare time. I’ve watched “Rob and Big” as well as “Fantasy Factory,” which aren’t the shows children should be watching.

Honorable mention:

This show hasn’t come out yet, but I know I’ll hate it and my sister will love it.

“Wendell and Vinnie” starring Jerry Trainor.

Premise: Older brother Vinnie is an immature and fun-loving guy, while little brother Wendell is a straight-edge kid who doesn’t really like fun.

Problem: Trainor is my problem. After having roles in “iCarly” and “Drake and Josh,” I’ve come to realize he’s Nickelodeon’s whipping boy and there is no acting career out there for him.

The downfall of kid’s TV