Track and field’s Thomas honored

03_04_13_Sports_TrackThomas_SDSUAthleticsTrack and field junior Shanieka Thomas spent the past month jumping her way into San Diego State and NCAA record books. But that’s not all. During that time, Thomas also helped her team pull off its first-ever indoor track Mountain West title. Thomas’ hard work  have earned her The Daily Aztec’s February Female Athlete of the Month.

Throughout the 2012-13 indoor track season, Thomas won three MW Women’s Indoor Athlete of the Week honors, the first one in January and two more in February.

At the Don Kirby Elite Invitational last month in Albuquerque, N.M., Thomas hit the sixth-best indoor triple jump mark in NCAA history. Her jump of 46 feet, 2 1/2 inches was also a MW and Don Kirby Elite Invitational record.

During the MW indoor championships, Thomas accomplished her second-straight indoor triple jump title and she finished second in the 400 meters.

And if that weren’t enough, Thomas also anchored on the 4 x 400-meter relay team, which finished first and had the second fastest time in school history. Thomas was later named women’s outstanding performer of the meet.

A week later, Thomas was named to the all-MW indoor track and field team along with seven other Aztecs.

Thomas will be heading to the NCAA championships this Friday with the top triple jump mark in the country.

In 2011, Thomas finished ninth in the championship with a triple jump mark of 42-7 inches and, in 2012, she finished seventh with a mark of 42-7 1/2 inches.

This season she has already shattered her previous NCAA championship marks by four feet.

Thomas is getting stronger and jumping farther each season and, come Friday, she’s sure to have another record-breaking performance.

But that won’t be the end of Thomas: She’ll have the outdoor track season to continue to improve her skills and another full year as an Aztec to continue her successful track career.

Track and field’s Thomas honored