SDSU takes two games from FSU

The San Diego State baseball team went 2-2 last week while traveling to the University of California, Irvine and Fresno State. With the two wins and two losses, the Aztecs stayed two games below .500 at 9-11 on the season, but they are 2-1 in conference.

The Aztecs dropped the lone game they played in Irvine, a 4-2 loss to the No. 25 Anteaters last Tuesday night.

SDSU then headed north to open the conference season in Fresno against the Bulldogs. After dropping the first game 1-0 on Friday night, the Aztecs won 11-6 on Saturday and 4-2 on Sunday.

Game of the week

Saturday’s 11-6 win against Fresno State was the game of the week for a variety of reasons. It was the Aztecs’ second-best offensive output of the season. The win broke a six-game losing streak. The Aztecs were also able to jump ahead with four runs in the first inning and led the game from start to finish.

Freshman third baseman Ty France got the big hit early for SDSU, a three-run home run that gave the visitors a 4-0 lead in the top of the first inning. The home run was the second of the season for France, who finished the game with four RBIs. Senior designated hitter Jake Romanski had five hits, three runs scored and three RBIs and junior second baseman Tim Zier had three hits and three runs scored.

Player of the week

Romanski had an excellent week offensively for the Aztecs. He was 2 for 4 with a run scored on Tuesday against UC Irvine, and was 2 for 4 again on Friday in the loss to Fresno State.

Romanski had his best performance in the win on Saturday, when he was 5 for 6 from the plate with three runs scored and three RBIs. In the series finale on Sunday, Romanski didn’t get a hit, but still managed to be productive offensively. He was hit by a pitch in the ninth inning and scored later on a wild pitch, adding an insurance run for Aztecs’ freshman closer Bubba Derby.

Romanski has quietly put together the most impressive season of any Aztec at the plate this year. He is batting .382 with a terrific .455 on-base percentage, both of which are the best of any Aztec. He also leads the team with 26 hits, 30 total bases and a .441 slugging percentage. He’s second on the team with 10 runs scored, second with four doubles and tied for second with seven walks.

Pitcher of the week

For the second straight start, sophomore ace Michael Cederoth took a loss despite pitching well. Cederoth gave up just one run in seven innings, allowing eight hits and two walks while striking out six. But the Aztec offense sputtered as the Bulldogs’ junior pitcher Tyler Linehan tossed a complete game shutout, giving up eight hits and two walks while striking out seven.

SDSU takes two games from FSU