BeatBox

Women’s tennis

The San Diego State women’s tennis team remains undefeated in conference play, after beating Fresno State 4-3 and the University of Nevada, Reno 4-3 last weekend in Las Vegas.

The victorious weekend began against the Bulldogs on Saturday. The Aztecs lost the doubles points to give the Bulldogs an early lead. But thanks to some fierce play, SDSU made up for the loss, winning four singles matches to seal the win.

On Sunday, the Aztecs started off slow again, losing its doubles matches, which meant they had to come up big during singles play to get the win. The Aztecs won four of its singles matches to send the Wolf Pack packing.

SDSU is now 17-4 overall and 5-0 in the Mountain West Conference.

Track and field

On Saturday, seven Aztecs came in first for their individual events at the Arnie Robison Invitational at San Diego Mesa College.

The No. 20 SDSU track and field team dominated in shotput and discus, with redshirt sophomore Jasmine Burrell finishing first in both.

As for the sprints, senior Thoraya Maronsey placed first in the 100-meter with a time of 13:35, while freshman Nicole Oudenaarden finished first in the 200-meter with a time of 25:01.

In the 5,000-meter, freshman Hannah Sawatzki clocked a time of 18:44.64 to take first.

Junior Allison Reaser jumped 5 feet, 1 inch in high jump and freshman Karen Snapper pole vaulted a height of 11 feet, 6 inches, adding to the first place count.

The prodigal son returns

After spending two years at UNLV coaching the Rebels, former men’s basketball assistant coach Justin Hutson is returning to SDSU.

Huston was the Aztecs’ men’s basketball assistant coach from 2006-2011 and played a key role in SDSU’s recruiting efforts, brinings players such as Kawhi Leonard and Chase Tapley to Montezuma Mesa.

Before coaching the Aztecs and Rebels, Hutson coached at Cal Poly and Cal State Bakersfield.

Hutson helped UNLV to two NCAA tournament appearances and two seasons with 25 or more wins.

During his five seasons at SDSU, Hutson was a part of a coaching staff that recorded the most games above .500, most points, longest winning streak, most field goals and numerous other school records. He became the defensive coordinator and helped the Aztecs lead the MWC in scoring defense in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Men’s tennis

The Aztec men’s tennis team also remains unbeaten in conference play, after defeating the University of New Mexico 4-3 on Sunday at the Aztec Tennis Center.

SDSU swept its doubles matches for the point and won three singles matches.

The Aztecs are now 17-7 overall and 5-0 in the MW. SDSU will travel to Reno to play against the Wolf Pack Sunday.

BeatBox