Seasons 52 offers healthy cuisine year round

05_07_13_Features_Seasons52_2_WBIs it possible to eat great tasting food that tastes great without all that calorie guilt? Most restaurants these days include bigger portions with thousands of calories. Well, now this problem is solved.  Seasons 52 is a unique restaurant where every dish, including desserts, is fewer then 475 calories. Seasons 52’s menu changes based on the four seasons, with a variety that leaves patrons satisfied and sure to return.

I ordered a mojito mixed with green tea raspberry syrup. The syrup added a surprising hint of fruitiness without overwhelming the mojito with sweetness.

My friend and I decided to split the ripe plum tomato flat bread pizza.  I was impressed that we didn’t need to blot our pizza to soak up excess oil.  The plum tomato flatbread had just the right amount of crisp and the juicy plum tomatoes were bursting with flavor.  The basil and mozzarella cheese added a touch of flavor that didn’t overpower the delicate appetizer.  It was the perfect dish to share.

05_07_13_Features_Seasons_4_WB

Next, we each ordered an entree.  I chose the grilled chicken caprese sandwich accompanied by a side salad and extra pesto sauce.  The mix of hot chicken, fresh mozzarella, crisp lettuce and fresh heirloom tomatoes was like a synchronized choir satisfying my hungry taste buds.  My friend ordered the fish tacos drizzled with salsa and chipotle sauce. The presentation was creative and deliberate—the three tacos rested on a stainless steel tray.  The fish tasted fresh and the chipotle sauce added a spicy tang to the overall palate (a little of the dressing went a long way).

Our waitress recommended the tomato and Hass avocado salad—her favorite entrée and the first dish she tried at Seasons 52. She also recommended the cedar plank roasted salmon. The salmon is fresh, so patrons don’t get the “fishy” taste some salmon dishes have.

05_07_13_Features_Seasons52_3_WB

Finally, my favorite course arrived—dessert. Seasons 52 is the creator of “mini indulgences.” The waitress placed a dessert tray on our dining table with eight different desserts, ranging from chocolate peanut butter mousse to key lime pie. The scrumptious treats are served inside a double shot glass.  Anyone with a sweet tooth will be pleasantly surprised by how much taste is packed in these mini desserts. The restaurant offers eight mini indulgences at all times. Some are seasonal, such as the pumpkin pie with a dollop of fresh whipped cream, topped off with ginger cookie crisp. My absolute favorite dessert at Seasons 52 is the cheesecake mini indulgence. Depending on the season, this mini indulgence is drizzled with either blueberries, mango pieces or raspberry and fresh coconut shreddings.

Our waitress said her favorite mini indulgence is the peanut butter chocolate mousse mini indulgence. Another popular choice is the mocha mini indulgence dessert.

Unfortunately, there are three disadvantages of dining at Seasons 52: location, wait time and price.  Currently, Seasons 52 is only located in La Jolla; however, there will be another opening downtown in the Fall.  This will combat the first disadvantage when dining at Seasons 52.

Our waitress said patrons should call two or three days ahead to make reservations, especially on weekends.

The prices at Seasons 52 range from $10 to $20.  Although this may seem like a hefty price for college students, I’d rather pay for great food with low calorie content. No matter the season, Seasons 52 is always an exceptional choice.