Midnight Study Break feeds and relaxes students

05_07_13_Features_Midnight_ThinkstockIt’s that time of the semester when students across campus suffer from widespread sleep deprivation for one reason: finals.  Toward the end of each semester, San Diego State Student Life & Leadership rewards all students by hosting its Midnight Study Break.

The Midnight Study Break allows students to take a breather from their studies and enjoy a variety of delicious breakfast foods that would satisfy even the pickiest eaters.

Student Life adviser Patsy Armstrong said SDSU’s first Midnight Study Break occurred in December 2007.

“It was a popular event at other campuses and the SLL staff did research about the program,” Armstrong said. “We liked the aspect of faculty and staff serving students during finals.”

Students who attend this event will find the food and activities a much welcomed distraction to the monotony of finals week. From hot, fluffy pancakes, custom-made omelettes, fresh fruit and delicious bakery items, the Midnight Study Break is sure to leave students satisfied.

Still not impressed? There will also be free prizes and raffles at the event, which will include beach cruiser bikes, gift cards and campus apparel, Patsy said.

Communication and political science senior and current Associated Students Executive Vice President Chanelle McNutt said she learned about the event from an upperclassman when she was a freshman.

“Midnight Study Break provides an opportunity for students to prepare mentally for the many long days that come ahead.  It’s also refreshing to see faculty and staff in a different way.  They really show their support for students and make us feel appreciate and provide encouragement,” McNutt said.

Hospitality and tourism management junior and next year’s A.S. Executive Vice President Becca Cohen said she enjoys the campus event.

“The reason I attended the Midnight Study Break is because it provided an opportunity to get away from the stress from finals and relax with friends while meeting other students from other organizations and communities on campus,” Cohen said.

Cohen said she’s helped market this specific event in the past through social media outreach, such as Facebook.

“Our hope was to help spread awareness of this great resource on campus to manage stress and help more students get through finals while creating Aztec traditions,” Cohen said.

At past Midnight Study Breaks, SLL handed out free Aztec shirts, on-the-go Starbucks coffee packs, Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner samples, and a free British-inspired traveling bag from the Student Travel Agency.

“The SLL wants to ensure every student attending will leave with great memories and a full stomach,” Patsy said. “As an office we reach out to various campus and outside companies to donate services or items for the event specifically.”

For example, study tips, Scantrons, pencils and blue books are available for attendees. Students who aren’t big fans of breakfast food are still encouraged to stop by to mingle with other students and faculty and enjoy a movie screening.

“Every semester, the Midnight Study Break is created around a theme,” Patsy said.  “This year that theme will be superheroes.  Because of that, students will have the chance to relax, eat and watch ‘Iron Man.’”

The Midnight Study Break will be held from 9 p.m. to midnight on Thursday in East Commons. The best part is the event is free for SDSU students, just make sure to bring your RedID to be granted admission.