STUDY ABROAD 2010: The first of many steps

Maura Ochoa / Staff Photographer

Many say that studying abroad is a life-changing experience and one that will not soon be forgotten. Bonds are formed, world views are stretched and the old passport receives a few more stamps. Because studying abroad is seemingly becoming the norm at San Diego State, there are a few places on campus that students who are interested in doing so should frequent.

The International Student Center

This building, located across the street from the Aztec Recreation Center and Fraternity Row, provides services to those who are currently in an exchange program, either residing in the U.S. or abroad. One example of its services is an online program finder, which informs students about locations they can visit as well as programs that the universities offer. It also provides information sessions to help students know what to expect when traveling abroad and where to obtain passports, visas or vaccinations that may be required. Its website offers even more information as well.

Office of major

More and more majors at SDSU are starting to require students to study abroad as a part of their curriculum, which means that those who are required to study abroad need to be in touch with the adviser for their majors. Here, students will learn more specifically where they can travel and with what program, as well as what courses they will need to take while abroad. This will aid students in planning their class schedules, as well as learning what to take during their exchange as there may be specific classes that are offered overseas. Also, a major adviser will help make sure students are meeting all the proper requirements (course related) before embarking on their exchange.

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

While most students apply for some sort of aid during their college career, many are not aware they are eligible for several different types of aid when studying abroad. SDSU offers students the chance to apply for scholarships to help pay for their exchange. As for the cost of tuition while abroad, students pay the same rate for school and housing as they would at SDSU, which can help curb some of the costs. Because students who study abroad tend to travel and spend more money than usual, especially if their host country’s exchange rate is high, students are also eligible for government grants and loans.

STA Travel at SDSU

Located in Aztec Center, this seemingly small office is often overlooked, but one peek inside can reveal hidden gems for those looking to get out of the U.S. in a cost efficient manner. STA is dedicated to giving students the best bang for their buck and understands students often have very restrictive budgets.

Students may be advised to speak with STA Travel as soon as they consider studying abroad. This also helps attain a cheaper airline rate before fares start to increase. STA Travel also provides brochures about what to do and see in the area of travel, as well as helpful tips to ensure that the experience is a positive one. It is even there to serve those who do not wish to study abroad and just wish for a little world experience. The website offers language classes, information about hotels and hostels and even provides information about food and customs.

For those who are looking to spice up their education with a dash of adventure, stop into any of these offices and speak with someone about a unique trip that can be remembered for years to come.