Football update: Quarterbacks, tight end entering transfer portal

Kyle Betz
San Diego State football senior tight end Nolan Givan (#85), junior wide receiver Ethan Dedeaux (#81) and sophomore quarterback Carson Baker (#3) stand at the back of the Aztecs’ huddle before SDSU’s 29-17 win against Colorado State on Dec. 5, 2020 at Dignity Health Sports Park. Givan and Baker entered the NCAA transfer portal on Jan. 25.

After an up-and-down 2020 season, San Diego State football sophomore quarterback Carson Baker has called it a career wearing the Scarlet and Black, announcing he will enter the transfer portal on Jan. 25 via Twitter.

The Helix High product played six games for the Aztecs (4-4) in 2020, starting in each of the first four before being benched. Baker completed 59 of his 104 passes for 617 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions, as well as rushing for one touchdown. 

Baker broke out as the Aztecs starting quarterback in the finale of the 2019 season, completing 19 of 24 passes (79.2%) for 172 yards and a touchdown, leading the Scarlet and Black over then-sophomore quarterback Zach Wilson and the Brigham Young Cougars 13-3.

He leaves SDSU with a 60.9 completion percentage for 789 yards, four touchdown passes and three interceptions while starting five of his seven games played. 

Junior quarterback Mark Salazar is also entering the transfer pool, as he announced the decision on Twitter on Jan. 21. Salazar hadn’t played a snap for the Aztecs coming out of nearby Rancho Bernardo High.

Two quarterbacks transferring out of SDSU could be a sign of things to come after the Aztecs signed incoming freshman quarterback Will Haskell and Mississippi State transfer redshirt sophomore Jalen Mayden, who has three years of eligibility remaining. 

Nolan Givan also announced he will be joining Baker and Salazar in the transfer portal on Jan. 25. The senior tight end enters the portal with one year of eligibility remaining. The Ball State transfer caught three passes for 34 yards while serving as the Aztecs blocking tight end in 2020. Givan has 54 catches for 386 yards and six touchdowns in four collegiate seasons at Ball State and SDSU.

Andrew Finley
Andrew Finley, '21-22 Assistant Sports Editor
Andrew Finley is 22 years old and was born and raised in Ramona, Calif. where he resides today. He is a junior who transferred from Grossmont College in fall 2020 with an associate's degree in journalism. During that time, Finley was an assistant football coach for his alma mater Ramona High School. He was hired straight out of high school as the youngest assistant coach on the staff. Finley is now an undergraduate journalism student with aspirations of being a professional sports reporter/analyst once he graduates.
Kyle Betz
Kyle Betz, Sports Editor
Kyle Betz is a fourth-year journalism student at SDSU and 2020-21 marks his fourth year reporting for The Daily Aztec. The Lake Forest, Calif. native has covered numerous sports as a writer, editor and media contributor. An avid fan of the Denver Broncos, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Lakers, Manchester United and Anaheim Ducks, Kyle enjoys watching and attending sporting events, listening to music, going to the beach and spending time with friends and family in his free time.