Column: Aztec fans pack the stands for the second Pac-12 win of the season

Andrew Finley
Aztecs fans filled the seats at Dignity Health Sports Park for the Aztecs matchup against Utah

The SDSU Football program has adjusted to their new home for game days at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California and Aztec fans have followed suit, showing up in numbers for Saturday’s blackout match-up against the Utah Utes. 

In a game week press conference leading up to the nonconference Pac-12 match-up, head coach Brady Hoke discussed the importance of fans to show up and support the Aztecs.

“We need Aztec Nation,” Hoke said. “We need everyone that we can get that bleeds red and black up to Carson because it’s going to be a heck of a football game.” 

The Aztec loyal did just that, showing up hours in advance — sporting their black Aztec jerseys from a previous giveaway —to experience a full game day.

With the 4 p.m. kickoff, fans spent the early afternoon in the tailgating lots as well as exploring Aztec Village, a free pregame environment open to the public with giveaways, food trucks, a DJ and a Kids Zone. 

Sophomore Annalissa Alvarez attended her first Aztec football game as a student after missing games through her freshman year due to the COVID-19 game day policy of no fans.

“The energy in the student section was absolutely amazing,” Alvarez said. “This was my first time attending a game as a student at SDSU and in the student section. The constant hype and lively energy made the game so much better than it already was. When we went into overtime, everyone was going absolutely crazy and you could feel the love and support for the boys.”

The student section went wild after Jordan Byrd returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown against Utah. (Andrew Finley)

Alvarez grew up in San Diego attending games with her family at SDCCU Stadium — the long-time home for the Aztecs. While Dignity Health Sports Park is serving as a temporary home for SDSU football, Alvarez recalled similar energy in Carson. 

Although it isn’t our true ‘home field’ in Carson, the energy and school spirit were still there,” Alvarez said. “The field in Carson feels just like our old stadium back home. I think they did a great job by making the atmosphere feel like we are still in San Diego.”

Whether it was current students, families of students or athletes, or alumni, fans showed their Aztec spirit for the blackout themed game and cheered the team on to victory in triple overtime.

Aztecs fans rise to their feet to cheer on the Aztecs against Utah in Carson, CA. (Andrew Finley)

The Scarlet and Black defeated the Utah Utes 33-31 with back and forth, repetitive overtime scoring attempts.

To claim your upcoming game tickets and student bus passes to cheer on the undefeated Aztecs, visit GoAztecs.com/StudentTix

Jenna Meyer, Staff Writer

Jenna is a third-year communication student from Seattle, Washington. This is her first year writing and reporting for the Daily Aztec. She hopes to work in the realms of broadcast journalism or as an in-game host for professional sports. Jenna follows Major League Baseball, specifically the Seattle Mariners and San Diego Padres, as well as San Diego State baseball. She enjoys spending time on campus and in student organizations such as SDSU Women in Sports and Sports Business Initiative. Follow her on Twitter @jennaameyer.

Andrew Finley, '21-22 Assistant Sports Editor
Andrew Finley is 22 years old and was born and raised in Ramona, Calif. where he resides today. He is a junior who transferred from Grossmont College in fall 2020 with an associate's degree in journalism. During that time, Finley was an assistant football coach for his alma mater Ramona High School. He was hired straight out of high school as the youngest assistant coach on the staff. Finley is now an undergraduate journalism student with aspirations of being a professional sports reporter/analyst once he graduates.