Aztecs Rock Hunger sets goal to raise 619,000 pounds of food

Jayne Yutig
Aztecs Rock Hunger sets goal to raise 619,000 pounds of food.

Associated Students held their annual Aztecs Rock Hunger Food Drive on Oct. 25.

The food drive efforts are made to provide aid to those in the San Diego community facing food and nutrition insecurity. The Jacobs & Cushman Food Bank is in partnership with San Diego State’s Associated Students to lead the drive. 

Now more than ever, this event is needed for those in the community who have taken a severe hit with food insecurity since the COVID-19 pandemic began. The food bank is now serving 600,000 people a month, a significant increase from last year’s 350,00 visitors monthly, according to SDSU.  

With this year’s Aztecs Rock Hunger Food Drive being back in person, A.S. said they are motivated to reach big goals. The target for this year is to raise 619,000 pounds of food, to represent the San Diego area code (619). The drive will run from Oct. 25 to Nov. 14. 

It’s great to have everyone back in the community and to have those in-person connections and really fire each other up about serving those in need at SDSU as well as the San Diego community,” A.S. Vice President of Leadership Development at Interfraternity Council Austin Barber said.

During the kick off of the Aztecs Rock Hunger event, President Adela de la Torre spoke amongst the crowd on how everyone can and should participate for this greater need in the San Diego community.  

“No matter how you give, whether you provide food or monetary donations, know that you are making an important difference to the lives in our entire community,” de la Torre said at the event.

The urgency for food security is critical in order for the San Diego community to recover from the negative impacts of the pandemic.

“When SDSU students observe a need they take action that is why we have Aztecs Rock Hunger is led by Associated Students today,” de la Torre said. “Since 2010, Aztecs Rock Hunger has raised more than 4 million pounds of food. To all of us there is so much we can, and need to do to support our community.”  

There are several ways to donate to Aztecs Rock Hunger. Those who want to get involved can go online to sdsu.edu/aztecsrockhunger, donate through Venmo @ARH2021, at all Starbucks and markets on campus, during select upcoming Athletics games including the Homecoming football game on Nov. 13, and by dropping off non-perishable food items at any of the red bins on campus. 

In addition to the campaign there will also be special events to increase participation, according to SDSU. 

SDSU states, the Aztecs Rock Hunger 5K will be an additional campaign held both a virtual and in-person event. Participants in the virtual 5K will race to fight food insecurity between Nov. 8 to Nov. 13 and the in-person 5K will be on Nov. 13. 

ARH participants can also donate through Aztec Proud tabling events where they can receive an ARH tote bag. Local businesses in the College Area are also accepting ARH donations. For more information, go to the ARH Instagram: @aztecsrockhunger.

Jayne Yutig
Jayne Yutig, '21-22 Assistant Multimedia Editor
Jayne Yutig is a senior studying journalism.