Record enrollment forecasts larger incoming class for fall 2022

Jessica Parga
Students discuss the social atmosphere at SDSU before and after the pandemic.

San Diego State recently announced the university has received a record number of first-year undergraduate applications for the upcoming fall 2022 semester. 

SDSU has received 76,792 first-year applications, their highest ever, along with 22,235 first-year transfer applicants, for a record total of 99,027 undergraduate applications. 

Of the first-year applicants, there are prospective students from all 50 states and 74 countries. Plus, the university has received its highest number of first-time applicants from California.

“For fall 2022, the university does anticipate bringing in a larger incoming class and is working with all campus stakeholders, including the Office of Housing Administration, to ensure that admissions decisions are made with an understanding of the associated resource, classroom, and capacity needs,” the university said in a statement. “Even beyond just the next academic year, the university is working to grow enrollments in response to demand at all levels, and in particular with transfer students (the majority of whom reside in the local community and are able to commute to campus) as well as graduate students.”

These are not the only application records SDSU has broken during this year’s admission cycle. With over 7,000 graduate applicants already received as of Jan. 14, the total number of applicants for fall 2022 adds up to over 107,000 as of Feb. 4, which sets them up for yet another record. According to the university, more applications are still expected for programs with later application deadlines.

SDSU President Adela de la Torre told the SDSU News Center she attributes the admissions success to the way students and families have persevered through the pandemic and the dedication they have shown in pursuit of their education.

“This is an incredibly positive testament to the resilience of students and their families, as well as the value they place on higher education,” said de la Torre. “A record number of San Diegans, Californians, and students everywhere see SDSU as their pathway for a brighter future.”

To allow applicants more time to apply with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the traditional November application deadline for fall admissions was pushed back to Dec. 15. Additionally, the deadline for the Transfer Supplemental application was extended until Jan. 26.                                                                             

This isn’t the first time in recent years SDSU has broken any of its admission records.

The number of total SDSU applicants has been steadily growing over the past five years, and this is the second straight year SDSU has received over 100,000 total applications. 

The university has already begun the process of admitting early applicants, and other prospective students are set to be notified of their admission status during March. 

Ryan Hardison
Ryan Hardison, Arts & Culture Editor
Ryan Hardison is a senior studying journalism, sociology and history.