SDSU Baseball walks off UC Riverside 5-4 in back-and-forth battle

The Aztecs get their revenge on the Highlanders following huge 9th inning
Yaritza Cuevas
San Diego State infielder Brady Lavoie stands in the batters box during the Aztecs’ game against UC Riverside on Tuesday, March 12 at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

After only scoring two runs in the past two games, head coach Shaun Cole made some big changes to the lineup heading into a rematch with UC Riverside (9-7, 0,0) — which proved to spark a fire in the dugout as the Aztecs (5-10, 2-4 Mountain West) scored three runs in the first three innings on route to a 5-4 walk-off win on Tuesday night.

“We needed to shake it up. Getting ahead early was not only big today but in any game,” Cole said. 

After UCR went up 1-0 on an unearned run in the top of the first inning, San Diego State immediately responded in the bottom of the first with a solo home run from infielder Brady Lavoie —his first of the year. 

In his first start of the year, designated hitter Zane Kelly got a third-inning rally going with a leadoff double and was later brought in by infielder Finley Bates on a sacrifice fly. Lavoie kept it rolling with a base hit followed up by an RBI double from infielder Tino Bethancourt to put the Aztecs up 3-1. 

Infielder Manoah Chapman also got his first start Tuesday night but looked as comfortable as ever finishing his day 2-4. Chapman and Kelly combined for 3-6 in their first starts of the season. 

“We have a lot of freshmen. We have to do a good job of rotating guys and not letting our guys get stale on the bench,” Cole said. “A couple of the guys that have been good for us early were out of gas. We need those guys fresh while also giving other guys opportunities to stay sharp.”

Despite the early lead, UCR chipped away and eventually took the lead as the Aztec bats went cold after the third inning. 

Down one heading into the bottom of the ninth, outfielder Irvin Weems got the nod to pinch-hit for his first time this season to lead off the inning. Weems, who has started in all 15 games for SDSU, hit a solo home run to tie the game 4-4. 

“I was ready. I had the mindset to get on base and do what I had to do. I ended up doing a little more than that thanks to God,” Weems said. “This team has depth. No matter if I’m on the bench or starting, I have to handle business at the end of the day.”

The ninth-inning drama continued as Chapman and pinch hitter Jacob Mccombs kept the inning going with back-to-back singles. Two strikeouts and an intentional walk later set the scene for every ball player’s dream; bases loaded, two outs and bottom of the ninth. 

Bethancourt delivered with an RBI base hit to walk off the Highlanders for sweet revenge. 

After striking out his prior at-bat, Bethancourt knew adjustments had to be made. 

“I was getting too big and loopy with my swing. As long as I stay short to the ball you can’t really beat me,”  Bethancourt said.

The Aztecs will follow up the win with their longest road stretch of the season. The Scarlet and Black play a three-game series in Colorado against Air Force (6-9, 2-1) this weekend followed by another weekend series against Hawaii (10-6, 0-0).