Paqui – The Freshman Blog

Paqui - The Freshman Blog

Editor’s note: Paqui is Nahuatl (Aztec) for “to be happy”.

Meet Kiori Snyder, our newest blogger! Follow her journey through SDSU every Monday.

By Kiori Snyder

Freshman.

Merriam-Webster defines it as a beginner, a newcomer and a first-year student.

The definition among college students is just as simple — the ones who don’t know the ropes, who get lost on the way to every class or who can’t always keep up with upperclassmen.

I’m proud to say I just survived my first week ever at San Diego State. It has been the most hectic week of my life, no doubt, but nonetheless one of the most fun.

It’s weird to think San Diego will be my new home for the next four years. This is it — I’m on my own, with no rules and no parents. It still hasn’t hit me yet; it almost feels as if I’m at summer camp and next week I’ll be back at home eating a homemade meal and sleeping in my own bed. Don’t get me wrong, I am absolutely loving this newfound freedom, it’s just going to take some time getting used to. Plus, I have met so many new people in the past week and have already formed so many new bonds that it is going to be hard to even think about getting homesick.

SDSU is everything I expected it to be and more. What originally drew me here was the location. After growing up in Newport Beach, I knew there was no way I could ever move away from the sand and sun. If you couldn’t guess by now, I am an aspiring writer and majoring in journalism. So far, my course load isn’t too bad. In fact, I actually look forward to going to class. Although I have a couple strict professors, I have some that are very enthusiastic, if you will, whom make up for it. Of course, college is not all work.

Kiori (third to the left) is enjoying her new found sense of independence.

Since I have gotten here, I have been constantly busy; every night is something new. From the Aztec Nights to the first football game to just going out with friends, there has not been a minute of downtime. The game was probably my favorite event this week and being my first real college football experience, it was definitely one to remember. Besides already getting our first win of the season against the Cal Poly Mustangs, the tailgating was the best part. Everyone was so eager and seeing the sea of students in red and black and feeling apart of something that big is very rewarding.

This past week was just a little taste of all to come and I can not wait to fill you all in on everything else in the days of a life of a freshman! Until next week, Aztecs!

Read the DA freshman blog, Paqui, online every Monday!

Paqui – The Freshman Blog