SDSU has a bone to pick with Air Force

Fresno State linebacker A.J. Gass (#52) couldn’t quite round up SDSU
GHASSAN BOGHOS/Daily Aztec

quarterback Billy Blanton last Saturday in the Aztecs’ 31-21 triumph over

the Bulldogs.

Hammer down your mashed potatoes early. Hide that last piece of pumpkin pie for late-night snacking. And make sure you haven’t knocked back too much eggnog because football will be in San Diego after your turkey day nap.

No, not the Cowboys or the Lions.

San Diego State football, that is.

Tomorrow, the Aztecs (7-3 overall; 5-2 WAC) face Western Athletic Conference rival Air Force at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium.

It seems every season SDSU is facing a must-win situation to end the year. This year is no exception.

But, there is one problem SDSU is facing history.

The Aztecs haven’t been to the postseason since the 1991 Freedom Bowl, and the reason is simple: They haven’t won a season finale since 1988.

In that time, SDSU has been a paltry 0-6-1.

It hopes to change that tomorrow.

It may be Thanksgiving Day, but gravy and stuffing are not the only things on the Aztecs’ minds when they face the Falcons. An 8-3 season finish could squeak SDSU into a long-awaited postseason game.

“We have come close every year. We’ve been there with a chance to go to a bowl every season,” SDSU quarterback Billy Blanton said. “Hopefully, if we win Thursday, we might have an outside chance of a bowl.”

If the Aztecs plan on playing in December, they must contain Air Force’s Beau Morgan, perhaps the most versatile quarterback in the nation.

The senior from Carrollton, Texas, is the first player in history to rush and pass for more than 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons. Morgan also leads the WAC in rushing and is ranked second in the WAC and 16th in the nation in scoring, averaging 9.6 points per game.

“We want to get the ball out of his hands in any way,” senior linebacker Sam Lawanson said. “We want him to throw the ball he won’t beat us throwing the ball. If he beats us throwing the ball, then we don’t deserve to win.”

Added SDSU defensive end Charles Gatlin: “Beau Morgan is the key to their offense. He’s a big-time threat and the type of quarterback that if you attack him, he will make you look bad. He has to make the first move, and then you hope he makes a mistake.”

Unfortunately for the Aztecs, Morgan and mistakes are not synonymous. The Falcons hardly turn the ball over and are ranked third in the WAC in turnover margin.

What the Falcons do best is run. That Air Force is even called Air Force is an oxymoron, considering they run the ball down opposing team’s throats every week. The Falcon ground attack is ranked second in the nation, averaging 338.1 yards per game.

SDSU will rely heavily on its fourth-ranked WAC run defense to somehow slow down Morgan and snap the wishbone. The Aztecs will feature a 4-2-5 defensive front. That means five defensive backs. It’s a strategy that helped Army defeat the Falcons earlier in the year.

Regardless of what defensive game plan SDSU comes up with, it’s a day to feast. And only one thing matters on Thanksgiving.

“It’s about being the hungriest man,” Gatlin said. “Whoever is the hungriest when we get on the field will get fed, and that’s the man who will walk away with the win.”

If it’s about hunger on Thanksgiving, the Aztecs can only hope Morgan and his teammates loadup on turkey before kickoff.

All-WAC honors

The WAC announced yesterday that six SDSU players received first team, all-WAC honors. The players were wide receiver Will Blackwell, offensive tackle Kyle Turley, defensive end Adrian Ioja, cornerback Ricky Parker, punter Noel Prefontaine and return specialist Leandrew Childs.

One name, however, that was left off the list was Aztec senior quarterback Billy Blanton. The WAC coaches selected Wyoming quarterback Josh Wallwork and Air Force quarterback Beau Morgan to the first team.

Amazingly, Blanton, the nation’s third rated passer, was left off the second team also, in favor of UNLV freshman quarterback Jon Denton.

Needless to say, the atmosphere SDSU’s practice yesterday was one of shock.

“I don’t have any words for it that’s how stupid that is,” Blackwell said after hearing the news. “That Blanton didn’t make first or second team is horses–t.”

Ioja agreed.

“That’s horses

SDSU has a bone to pick with Air Force