California on the lookout for drunk drivers

December marks the beginning of 3-D month California’s Drunk and Drugged Driving Prevention month.

3-D month, sponsored by California’s Office of Traffic Safety, encourages members of communities and organizations to conduct an activity that will eduacte the public on preventing impaired driving.

“The goal of 3-D Month is to increase awareness of the dangers and consequences of impaired driving,” said Arthur Anderson, director of the Office of Traffic Safety.

“Anything you do to help educate your community will make a difference. It is the cooperative effort of hundreds of organizations throughout the state that will make this year’s 3-D Month a success.”

The number of alcohol-related accidents and deaths skyrocket during the holidays.

“At this time of the year, it is very common for people to gather at social parties and family get-togethers where the consumption of alcohol is taking place,” Detective Tom Boyer of University Police said. “Intoxication-related deaths are at an all-time high.

“People need to be careful. (A) drinking and driving arrest can really destroy your holidays, not to mention what an accident will do,” he said.

Alcohol is a legal drug for people 21 years of age and older, but it’s still a drug and, therefore, may be addictive.

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, alcohol is classified as a depressant. Other than caffeine, it is the most commonly used and abused substance.

Alcohol is responsible for more than 100,000 deaths a year, according to a spokesperson for the ATF.

Alcohol is absorbed directly into the blood stream without being digested. The blood alcohol level can be estimated on the amount of alcohol consumed and the person’s body weight, the pamphlet said.

Studies have shown that between 60 and 95 percent of all campus crimes and violence are alcohol-related, University police said.

According to University Police, alcohol also affects the portion of the brain controlling motor skills. Reaction time is slowed and judgment is impaired. Physical symptoms vary, but usually include poor coordination, staggering, slurred and incoherent speech, sluggishness, drowsiness and droopy eyelids.

Crime Prevention officer Mark Fox said the most prevalent reasons people initially drink is the desire for social acceptance and the glamorization of alcohol by the television and print media. Then, at some point, it becomes an acquired taste.

According to the sheet provided by University Police, it is unlawful in California for a person to drive with a blood alcohol level of .08 percent or higher. Legal ramifications for drunk driving can range from a $150 fine to the loss of a driver’s license for one year and the impoundment of the vehicle.

Those individuals younger than 21 who have a blood alcohol level of .01 percent will be subjected to both penalties, said University Police. For the more heavy crimes associated with drunk driving, such as vehicular manslaughter, violators can be sentenced to state prison for up to 10 years.