Traveling safely this winter

With winter break quickly approaching, many students will soon prepare to travel.

Pleasant and safe travel requires planning and preparation, and several things can be done to ensure a smooth road for your travel.

For those who will be driving long distances, it is especially important to take measures against falling asleep at the wheel.

A recent study on the cause and nature of car accidents found that 55 percent of traffic accidents attributed to falling asleep involved drivers between the ages of 16 and 25. The fact that the upcoming travel season is preceded by finals week will likely add to the risk of excessive sleepiness.

Here are some tips to keep in mind before hitting the road:

Get plenty of sleep the night before.

Avoid driving during midnight and mid-afternoon hours. These are the times when the body’s biological clock is set for sleep.

Talk to your passengers and ask them to keep an eye on you.

If you become drowsy while driving, pull over and have someone else drive. If you are alone, exit the freeway and find a place to take a nap.

Make frequent stops. As a general rule of safety, it is best to take a break every two hours or 100 miles.

Bring along some of your favorite music to sing along with.

If it is not too cold, roll down the windows to keep the fresh air circulating.

Bring loud, crunchy snacks like pretzels or nuts; both the chewing and the noise will help keep you alert.

If needed, drink caffeinated beverages or herbal stimulants such as ginseng, bee pollen or astragalus.

A hazard for winter drivers can be snow and ice on the roads. If you will be driving through these types of conditions, carry snow chains and keep your speed low. Avoid remote or unfamiliar roads, and contact the Department of Motor Vehicles or local weather service to check for updated road conditions and further driving suggestions.

For those traveling out of the country, San Diego State University’s Student Health Services offers a travel clinic, which provides students with information on acquiring the necessary immunizations.

This service is available throughout the school year for $25. This charge includes an analysis of the student’s needs according to what countries will be visited, what vaccines may be needed and the general health of the student. It also includes education on preventative measures against illness. If needed, a physical exam is also included.

According to Dr. Gregg Lichtenstein, SHS subscribes to a program called Travel Care, which is updated monthly on new immunizations and on the types of illnesses, political situations and wildlife to be aware of.

“We generally suggest that students visit the clinic six to eight weeks before travel,” Lichtenstein said. “In the case of those traveling abroad during the upcoming break, they should come in as soon as possible.

“What many students don’t realize is that some immunizations need to be administered over a period of several weeks. That is why planning ahead is so crucial.”

Wherever your holiday travels may take you, take the time to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.

Traveling safely this winter