Man caught stealing bikes

A 19-year-old man was caught stealing a bicycle at the rear of the Business Administration and Mathematics building at San Diego State University last Wednesday, according to University Police.

Daniel Paul Hemsley of Spring Valley was arrested by Officer Dave Ross for theft and attempted theft.

Ross responded to a radio call of a male attempting to take a bicycle from the south side of the building, University Police said.

Ross said he saw Hemsley sitting next to the bicycle rack. Upon contact, Ross said Hemsley claimed he was waiting for a friend. While searching him for weapons, Ross found a handle for a vehicle jack and a 2.5 ton car jack sitting next to him.

All are consistent with tools used to break bike locks, Ross said.

In addition, Hemsley also had a back pack that contained a front fork of a bicycle that was later determined to have been taken from a bike parked at Chapultepec Residence Hall.

“It is rare for bicyles to be recovered once stolen,” Mark Fox, crime prevention officer, said.

It is extremely important that bicycle owners remember their serial numbers, he said.

“People come in and say that their bike was stolen but don’t know the serial number; they only give a description. So if we did find the bike in someone else’s custody, little can be done.

“The majority of bikes stolen on campus are stolen because of inefficient locks or no locks at all. Chain and cable locks are easily defeated by bolt cutters. What we recommend is the harder steel U-shaped lock.”

University Police offers a pamphlet that provides bicycle safety tips and a free bike license program. Contact University Police for more information at 594-1991.

University Police search for indecent

exposure suspect

A female student observed a male indecently exposing himself in Parking Lot E at SDSU last Monday.

The suspect is described as a white male between the ages of 20 and 30 years old with a medium build and brown hair. He was wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans.

As the female pulled into the lot, she observed the suspect unzipping his pants and masturbating. University Police said she left the area and notified the police.

University Police unsuccessfully searched the area for the suspect. Anyone with information on this crime should contact Detective Jacobson at 594-1984.

CRIME LOG

The following crimes were reported to University Police between Nov. 18 and Nov. 24.

Assault/battery 1

Burglary 6

Disturbing the peace 7

Drug possession 3

Petty theft 6

Public consumption of alcohol 1

Sexual assault 1

Vandalism 5

Vehicle theft 1

Man caught stealing bikes