FEELING TRUTH AT YOU: Time for water districts to reform

It’s difficult not to consider water conservation in the current drought. But that is not the response we are receiving from water districts across San Diego County. Since water restrictions were implemented last July with the goal of cutting back overall water use by eight to 10 percent, residents have far surpassed that goal. Water districts are now facing lost revenue and are immorally planning to weave and dodge the water restrictions with disregard for the well-being of society.

With the looming recession, it has become customary that people cut back on everything they once splurged on in order to save. When it came to cutting back on water, residents were proactive about complying with the restrictions mandated by the county.

We have all been doing our part in this conservation effort and have far exceeded expectations. Instead of being rewarded, rates will be increased. Conservation outreach efforts will decrease in an order to make up for decline in the revenue of the water utilities.

Some areas of the county, such as Poway and Lakeside, cut back water use 22 to 30 percent this past year. We’re doing so well that water district managers are becoming too concerned with their own pockets. The San Diego Union Tribune conducted an interview with Bill Rucker, general manager for the Vallecitos Water District, in which he said, “We don’t need to keep telling customers to do a better job.” He also suggested bending the restrictions in a way that would lead to more water use and increased revenues.

Imagine if we allowed Wall St. to return to the same mentality of shrugging off regulation so that they could boost their profits. What is not permissible in one industry should certainly not be permissible in another. We need reform in both industries. In a recent speech, President Barack Obama gave to Wall St., he said, “We will not go back to the days of reckless behavior and unchecked excess at the heart of this crisis.” This sentiment has universal application to both institutions. The importance of water conservation has gone up in the eyes of many, and water districts are going to have to get used to that.

The decline of revenue in water districts is not going away. The districts are complaining because they will have to make cuts in their staff and provide less conservation education. The U.S. has been struggling through a recession and it’s bound to affect everyone. Companies have had to make cuts to staff and consumers have had to make adjustments in their spending patterns.

This is no different for the water districts of San Diego County and it is about time they learn how to make adjustments of their own.

San Diegans have woken up to the importance of water conservation. We can’t rely on water districts to champion this effort. We must continue to do it for ourselves.

-T.J. Bronson is a journalism and economics senior.

-This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.