AGAINST ALL ODDS: Boycott the United Kingdom

Regardless of your views on controversial issues such as the War on Terror or the Guantanamo Bay controversy, we can all agree on something: We do not condone the acts of terrorism.

This seemingly universal sentiment is why the release of the Libyan mass murderer, Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, from his Scotland prison has stirred up such negative sentiment across the country.

Yet oddly, Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill doesn’t see it that way.
    In a move that has stunned millions, al-Megrahi, one of the conspirators behind the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland was released by MacAskill on humanitarian grounds. MacAskill’s reasoning: al-Megrahi is suffering from prostate cancer.
    With inflamed tensions and hostile disbelief, many Americans are calling for a boycott of the United Kingdom &- and we should support them 100 percent.

The terrorist’s early release means he is exempt from serving his entire sentence. This puts him back on the streets, free to commit more atrocities, and clearly demonstrates to the world the United Kingdom’s weakness in the face of pressure.

What the British government is framing as a compassionate release for a cancer-stricken man had more to do with British commercial interests, according to www.nydailynews.com. In an attempt to acquire friendly relations and a possible oil contract with Libya, Britain stood idly by as al-Megrahi was released. He served slightly more than 11 days for each of the 270 men, women and children he killed.

Most of the passengers were American citizens &- 189 to be exact &- and Britain’s silent support of the release has infuriated many Americans. President Barack Obama’s chief spokesman, Robert Gibbs, described the homecoming celebration in Lybia as “outrageous and disgusting.”

Britain has clearly allowed political and economic interests to transcend justice and it is abominable.

Although British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has tried to separate himself from such corruption, his decisions have severely wounded U.S.-British relations.

“(The release) is going to damage U.S. relations with Britain for years to come,” former U.S. Justice Department official David Rivkin said.

And the damage has already begun. Through the global reach of the Web and social media, opponents of this political move have been popping up all over the Internet.

Groups urge Americans not to travel to Scotland or anywhere in the United Kingdom, and to avoid doing business there.

This may sound like a mere temper tantrum in comparison to the injury already done by al-Megrahi’s release, but something needs to be done.

Americans made 340,000 trips to Scotland last year and spent $371 million, or 21 percent of money spent by all non-British visitors, reports USA Today. The U.S. isScotland’s single biggest export market, with whiskey alone accounting for about $529 million.

If Americans stand together and vote with our pocketbooks, we can have a great impact.
    The Scottish government can be pressured to send al-Megrahi back to prison. MacAskill should be forced to resign. Brown should face the world community and make a public apology for the corruption he allowed to possess his leadership.

A boycott on the U.K. is much easier than you think. You could choose to steer away from the BBC for news. Do not travel to Scotland.

If a Scottish vacation wasn’t in your plans in the first place, be sure to visit the Web site, sign the petition and follow the boycott at www.boycottscotland.com.

We cannot allow a convicted terrorist to get away without serving his sentence. By doing so, we send a message to the globe that justice is not chief in our society, crimes against humanity go without punishment and corruption reigns free.

A mass-murdering terrorist should not go free, regardless of medical complications.
    This sets a dangerous precedent that we must correct. Just because he was already released does not mean he cannot go back. Get involved in the boycott today.

8212;Ashlie Rodriguez is a political science and journalism senior.

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec. Send e-mail to opinion@thedailyaztec.com. Anonymous letters will not be printed 8212; include your full name, major and year in school.