LIVE AND DANGEROUS: Snow Patrol delivers tunes with Irish appeal

Kallie Larson / Staff Photographer

Last Saturday’s concert started off with a bang.

While the spotlight dropped down on lead singer Tom Higgenson, audience members welcomed the rest of Plain White T’s as it opened with the song “Let Me Take You There.” The band had a full set including guitarists Dave Tirio, Tim G. Lopez and Higgenson, bassist Mike Retondo and drummer De’Mar Hamilton. Regardless of its size, however, the band lacked stage presence and the members rarely interacted with one another, making its performance feel disjointed and impersonal. The crowd was most excited when Plain White T’s performed “1.2.3.4,” “Hey There Delilah” and “Hate (I Really Don’t Like You).” The band also debuted a new song titled “Boomerang,” set to be released on its upcoming 2010 album. By the end of the set Plain White T’s’ performance left a lot to be desired from its overly simple instrumentals and corny lyrics, but it left the stage with its fans cheering and everyone else ready for Snow Patrol.

Before Snow Patrol entered the stage, a screen displayed a list of cities the band wanted to “take back,” including San Diego. Snow Patrol began its performance with ambient purple lighting and an extremely strong stage presence. Music pounded throughout the stadium and all instruments played harmoniously. The intensity of Snow Patrol’s smooth sound and poetic qualities of singer Gary Lightbody’s voice and lyrics was enthralling, capturing and transporting audience members. Lightbody engaged audiences in small bits of humorous conversation and included them in private jokes between him and other band members; explaining a reference made to an Irish soccer game score in which his team beat out a fellow band member’s team.

The band performed favorites such as “Chasing Cars” and “Run” while playing newer songs from last year’s album “A Hundred Million Suns.” Progression from song to song was fluid and the visuals worked as narratives to the music. Snow Patrol finished strong and returned to the stage at the call of the audience and performed four more songs, accompanied by a video incorporating its origami symbol transforming into a whole universe and world made of origami. The concert tied together themes and lyrics from previous songs until the very end. Snow Patrol put on an amazing concert that was moving, entertaining and a great way to spend a Saturday night.

For more information on Snow Patrol, visit www.snowpatrol.com.