Tragic ending for stab victim

Courtesy of Fred Santos

A violent fight early Saturday morning near Peterson Gymnasium resulted in the fatal stabbing of 22-year-old Mesa College student, Luis Felipe Watson dos Santos.

His mother and father, who live in Concord, said they are grieving his death, as well as remembering Luis’ life. His 23-year-old sister Brigida, who lives in Los Angeles, and his many friends at Mesa College, as well as those in the San Diego State community, are also remembering his vibrant personality and entertaining character.

Santos’ parents said Luis was extremely outgoing and people-oriented.

“He would get along with pretty much anyone and everyone,” his father Fred Santos said.

The easy-going, social and 8212; in his mother’s words 8212; “magnetic” young man died during a street fight while walking home from a party with a group of friends.

“Right now, he’s trying to get into real estate,” Fred Santos said about his son. “Even though this isn’t the best time to sell real estate because of the market right now, he wants to do something that utilizes his people skills, like sales or marketing.”

Luis’ father, who was still shocked by the sudden death of his son, vacillated between describing his son in the present tense and referring to him in the past tense yesterday, just two days after the violent crime that resulted in Santos’ tragic death.

“We are still grieving our loss,” his mom, Kathy Santos, added.

Fred Santos said his son, whose family is Portuguese, enjoyed all the typical activities of any young, college-aged student.

“He essentially liked to hang out; he loved going to the beach, playing video games, and watching movies … things every young college-aged kid likes to do,” Santos said.

An avid reggae fan, Santos was preparing to take his real estate licensing test. The future looked bright for the witty business undergraduate.

When his parents learned of the senseless circumstances surrounding Luis’ death early Saturday morning, it was like waking into the worst nightmare imaginable.

“We are very sad and we can never overcome this loss,” Fred Santos said. “We’ll never see our son again for the rest of our lives.”

Luis, a huge Oakland Raiders fan, was athletic with short-shaved brown hair and soft hazel eyes.

“He liked to watch any sporting event, and loved basketball,” Kathy Santos said.

Fred Santos urges any student or any person who may have any information regarding the incident that cost his son’s life to inform the authorities immediately.

“Anyone who saw or heard anything, please, please, call the police,” Fred Santos said. “Pay attention to your surroundings; if you notice any blood in the hallways or in dorm rooms or on clothes in the laundry room, that information could be very useful for police to catch whoever did this.”

Everyone who knew Luis Santos will remember him as an optimistic and cheerful young man who did not get to fully enjoy his promising future.

Friends held a solemn vigil for Luis Felipe Watson dos Santos last night in front of Peterson Gymnasium, according to the victim’s father. The funeral is tentatively set for Saturday in Concord.

“Right now, we want to celebrate his life. All we have left are memories,” Fred Santos said.

Anyone with information can contact Crime Stoppers at (888) 550-TIPS.

Tragic ending for stab victim