SNEAK PEEK: Pink Floyd recreated with a ‘good on ya’ feel

Courtesy of Humphrey?s By The Bay

Eye-catching lights and soaring sounds from an unbeatable music troupe recreates one of the most memorable acts from the “60s: Pink Floyd. Since its 1988 formation in Adelaide, Australia, The Australian Pink Floyd Show proves it has other things in mind than just throwing another shrimp on the barbie. Among the sea of tribute bands, TAPFS proves again and again that its talent is unparalleled and continues to draw attention to tribute show enthusiasts worldwide. The members even managed to impress David Gilmour, original Pink Floyd guitarist and vocalist, enough to hire TAPFS to perform at his 50th birthday party.

TAPFS presently consists of at least a dozen musicians, two of which (Steve Mac and Jason Sawford) have been with the band since its inception. The band is comprised of several vocal performers, guitarists, bassists, a drummer and a saxophone player. With so much talent on stage, it’s simple to understand why TAPFS is ranked as not only the best Pink Floyd cover band but also one of the best tribute acts altogether.

Within recent years, the introduction of a psychedelic laser light show brought even more attention to TAPFS, as they pushed themselves further toward fully encompassing the Pink Floyd concert experience. The use of a circular screen panel hangs behind the members and portrays liquid light, something the original Pink Floyd made popular during the height of the psychedelic era. For the duration of the two and a half hour spectacle, different movies and animations dance along the screen, entrancing the audience into a hypnotic daze.

Although TAPFS is all about recreating the Pink Floyd experience, it still manages to fit in its Aussie humor. Dubbed “Australianisms,” it uses a large pink kangaroo prop on stage as the main logo for posters and shirts, modeled after the inflatable pig used at original Pink Floyd shows. The album artwork for “Dark Side of the Moon,” replaces the prism with a shape of Australia, and for “The Wall,” marching kangaroos has been substituted for the hammers.

Dedicated to serving its mouth-watering musical talent to hungry Pink Floyd fanatics, TAPFS began its Big Pink Greatest Hits World Tour earlier this year in the United Kingdom and Europe. Promising fans a world tour at the beginning of this year, U.S. dates were finally added in mid-August, one of which will grace San Diego on Monday at Humphrey’s Concerts By the Bay.

Pricing for the show starts at $55, with the most expensive costing $239.50. This act will no doubt prove it can still pull a massive profit during these tough economic times, so try hard to catch this epic performance, as anyone in attendance is sure to have a g’day, mate.
    For more information on TAPFS, visit www.aussiefloyd.com. For show dates at Humphrey’s, visit www.humphreysconcerts.com.

/center>