Too much on your plate? Meditate

Contrary to popular belief, meditation is not just for hippies. This simple, ancient form of relaxation is beneficial for anyone experiencing stress, tension, anger or a number of nagging emotions or thoughts that can distract us from our goals and daily tasks.

Meditation comes in many forms and can last from minutes to hours, if you so choose. Most of us don’t have the time to meditate for hours, but even just a few minutes each day, especially when you feel you might explode, can prove to be highly beneficial.

Before getting to the techniques, let’s take a look at what meditation does to our bodies.
Along with numerous other studies, “The Physical and Psychological Effects of Meditation” by Michael Murphy and Steven Donovan, found meditation has numerous positive effects on our body. They found it decreases stress and anxiety and increases melatonin and serotonin, which are the hormones responsible for feelings of bliss and happiness. It also reduces body aches and helps you get those precious eight hours of sleep.

Meditation is also said to pump up secretion of the hormone DHEA. This adrenal shot to the system can boost your memory 8212; just in time for finals 8212; lower stress levels and maintain your libido and weight.

Beyond being a great technique to calm yourself and relieve stress, meditation helps you stay present, holistic healing student Sharyn Greenberg said. Meditation brings you into your body and helps keep your focus there instead of on the bothersome thoughts that run loose in our heads all day.

“We get caught up in ourselves,” Greenberg said. “Instead of living and experiencing life, you are trapped inside your head, thinking about what you are going to do later and why your boyfriend texted you that message.”

By letting distracting thoughts occupy our minds, we are not focused on the here and now, she said. “You are not focused on reality.”

Meditation helps you stay present, which according to Greenberg is the purpose of life. When you enjoy every moment and forget about your past or future worries, life is more pleasurable and much less stressful. Meditation can easily be incorporated into your life through many simple practices.

One way is to sit in a chair, the floor or wherever you are most comfortable and focus on your breathing for about five minutes. You can try counting your breath, one deep inhale and exhale counts as one, all the way up to 10. Or in your mind you can repeat, “in” with each deep inhalation and “out” with each deep exhalation. Try it, and you will notice increased feelings of relaxation or peace afterward.

Another way to stay present is to attune your senses to your surroundings. Sit somewhere and begin to breathe in and out deeply. Look and notice colors and actions. Listen and try to pick out little noises such as leaves fluttering, or the distant laughter of a child. Take note of what you smell, and the taste in your mouth. Finally, tune in to your body and notice what it feels like to sit on the ground, what tension you feel and the wind on your skin.

If you would like to learn more about meditation or practice with fellow students, check out the Aztec Dharma Bums at http://sites.google.com/site/aztecdharmabums/.

Too much on your plate? Meditate