V-Day burglar has date with jail

San Diego State’s Love Library had a little less love on Valentine’s Day yesterday, after a male nonstudent was arrested for stealing several electronics from people in the library.

25-year-old Sami Youssouf was apprehended by the SDSU Police Department yesterday afternoon and is being charged with four counts of burglary. Youssouf allegedly stole two iPhones and a Dell laptop from the library at approximately 2 p.m. before entering the SDSU Bookstore with what SDSUPD Capt. Lamine Secka said was “the intent to steal something out of there.”

All the stolen electronics were returned to their owners, Secka said, and no other library patrons reported anything missing.

Secka said SDSUPD believes Youssouf was being assisted by an accomplice.

“We have some information that there may have been one other person, based on some of the statements from some of the victims,” he said. “But we don’t have a concrete description of the person.”

According to a community notification sent by SDSUPD yesterday afternoon, the pair had a strategy for coaxing victims away from their personal items: “One suspect distracts the victim by asking a question, while the other suspect steals the victims’ property.”

Secka said the SDSUPD gets many theft reports from Love Library, but they typically don’t involve a pair working together to commit the crimes.

“This is probably the first time, at least for this school year, that there has been more than one person,” he said.

Youssouf will likely be transferred to jail sometime today. As of yesterday evening, the other possible suspect’s location was unknown. SDSUPD is asking anyone with information regarding the thefts to contact the police department at 619-594-1991 regarding case number 12-0268.

V-Day burglar has date with jail