AS Beat

Multi-Cultural Caucus has its say in restructuring

The San Diego State Multi-Cultural Caucus had a say in last Friday’s Associated Students restructuring meeting, ensuring the inclusion of diversity in the new government structure. Crystal Smith, the new co-chair of the MCC, spoke at the meeting and told the committee what she expects from her council and from A.S.

Smith plans to increase MCC membership and involvement in campus activities as it has not been very prominent throughout the last two years because of mismanagement. As for A.S., she said, “there’s a large lack of communication between most of the minorities on campus and A.S., so we definitely want to be that bridge of communication to let them know … what (A.S. is) doing.”

The meeting ended with an agreement the restructured MCC be composed of one elected representative from each cultural organization on campus and one representative from each of the campus’ colleges. The college representatives will also sit on the University Council as MCC representatives. The chair of the MCC will be a voting member on the A.S. Campus Life Council. The Restructuring Committee plans to discuss the inclusion of liaisons to serve as communicants between the separate councils at Friday’s meeting.

—Compiled by Staff Writer Amy Williams

AS Beat