A.S. beat

Bylaws passed

Associated Students Council approved bylaw amendments for the College of Health and Human Services, the College of Arts and Letters, Green Love and University Affairs Board. They updated details within their bylaws to clarify procedures, definitions and officer duties.

The only proposed bylaw amendment that didn’t pass would have required student organizations that sit on A.S. Council to submit and present their minutes to council. Currently, student organizations are only required to present minutes once per semester.

President Pro Tempore Alex Arena, author of the amendment, intended to increase communication between organizations and A.S. and increase transparency, but organization representatives didn’t think that would be achieved. Unclear wording led to confusion about how exactly the amendment would be executed.

Residence Hall Association’s Jasmine Henderson said, “I think the concept that Alex originally started with got muddled with everyone else’s perspective.”

One notable amendment that passed led to the creation of the Undeclared Student Council. Jessika Seekatz, the Unclassified Studies Representative, wants to encourage leadership in undeclared students and increase communication between them and A.S. The council will consist of a president, an executive vice president, a vice president of finance, an A.S. council representative and a major adviser.

Budget proposal finalized

Finance Board finalized the budget proposal it will send to the President’s Budget Advisory Committee. The budget generally remained the same as last school year’s budget, with a 0.9 percent decrease in expenditures, which is a difference of $196,249. The Finance Board relied on reserves to offset expected revenue declines.

In the budget’s memorandum, Vice President of Finance Rob O’Keefe wrote, “Even in tough economic times, Associated Students remains committed to providing a high level of services to students.”

University Senate Designee Dr. Cathie Atkins urged students to keep informed of budget updates at sdsu.edu/budgetcentral.

A.S. beat