33rd annual MLK parade celebrates diversity

Red and black balloons floated above a group of San Diego State students, faculty and family who came together to commemorate one of the most influential civil rights leaders by marching in the 33rd annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Parade.

The Sunday march stretched along Harbor Drive as people from all ethnic and religious backgrounds throughout San Diego celebrated King’s battle and achievements.

Pre-parade excitement was everywhere as high school bands from throughout San Diego fine-tuned their songs, African-American fraternities and sororities perfected their steps and elementary school dance teams practiced their moves one last time before allowing themselves to relax until 2 p.m. and the start of the parade.

“This event is a great opportunity to celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King, and to celebrate a renewed richness for all cultures and communities,” SDSU Chief Diversity Officer Aaron Bruce said.

“With SDSU’s new strategic plan to focus on diversity, along with the fact that we were ranked one of the top 20 most ethnically diverse schools in the nation, it really makes it easy for us to come out and fully support this amazing parade,” Bruce said.

This diversity was apparent in the crowd of onlookers as well as the parade performers. Students from various universities showed their support, while women from the Red Hat Society and a handful of high school and ethnic organizations from all around San Diego used their talent to celebrate the day.

Reflecting on the whole experience, sophomore Kevin Hancock said, “I think it is great to be a part of this, just to see how far we have come in these past 56 years as far as equality and all the great progress that has been made.”

Watching a community fulfill King’s dream of walking hand in hand enhanced the symbolism of the celebration.

Director of the Office of Intercultural Relations Tanis Stark said how, “It is one of the special times where the university truly comes together and where we cross race, creed, color lines, ethnicities, and social status to unite under one umbrella of social justice and humanity.”