Aztecs take two of five games in Cathedral City tourney

The San Diego State softball team competed in one of the biggest and most competitive tournaments this past weekend. The Aztecs finished 2-3 in the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Cathedral City. SDSU is now 8-7 overall.

Game 1: No. 7/7 Missouri 2, SDSU 1

In the afternoon game, Aztecs freshman pitcher Danielle O’Toole battled against the 7-0 sophomore pitcher Bailey Erwin of the Tigers. In the bottom of the fourth inning, SDSU senior catcher Kristen May hit a single, which brought junior outfielder Stefani Polonia to give the Aztecs a 1-0 advantage. Unfortunately, that was the only offensive spark for the Aztecs, as Missouri senior catcher Jenna Marston hit a two-run, ground-rule double in the fifth inning to score two runs securing the victory for the Tigers. The Aztecs had two more innings to make a comeback, but it wasn’t enough to knock off Erwin and the Tigers.

Game 2: Virginia 5, SDSU 2

During the evening game, SDSU got off to a great start in the first inning as sophomore outfielder Kayla Jordan led the game off with a solo home run.  The third inning became a nightmare for the Aztecs. The Cavaliers rallied back on four huge hits, an Aztec error, and a five-pitch walk that combined to score four runs in the inning. In the bottom of the third, SDSU freshman utility Leia Ruiz blasted a single to bring in redshirt freshman outfielder Victoria Kobold to score the final run of the game for the Aztecs. Virginia senior catcher Kristen Hawkins bolted her first home run of the season in the fourth inning to secure the win for the Cavaliers.

Game 3: SDSU 3, Syracuse 0 

Hip, hip, hurrah! The Aztecs earned their first win of the MNCC thanks to the dominant pitching of redshirt senior pitcher Rebecca Arbino. After throwing seven scoreless innings and only allowing five hits, Arbino accomplished a career high of 12 strikeouts in the win. The game remained knotted up until the Aztecs recorded two doubles and a single, while capitalizing on an Orange error to gain a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning. Things got even worse for Syracuse when SDSU junior designated player Lorena Bauer hit a double that brought home Polonia to assure SDSU’s victory.

Game 4: SDSU 5, Ohio State 0

The train kept on rolling for the Aztecs. O’Toole (2-3) picked up her first win of the tournament, holding the Buckeyes to three hits, two walks, and three strikeouts. In the first inning, the Aztecs gained momentum right off the bat of Bauer. She smoked an RBI single to give the Aztecs the lead 1-0. Following a Buckeye error that brought in one run for SDSU, Bauer and May increased the lead to 4-0 after they both hit RBI singles in the top of the third. The momentum would not stop in the fifth inning when senior pitcher Kamerin May joined the RBI single club, giving the Aztecs a 5-0 victory.

Game 5: No. 9/11 Oregon 3, SDSU 1

After a long and competitive weekend, the Aztecs dropped their final game of the tournament to nationally ranked Oregon. Arbino (6-4) gave up seven hits and three runs to the Ducks. In the fourth inning, Oregon senior second baseman Kaylan Howard bombed a home run to bring in a run, which was the game’s biggest highlight. SDSU had chances to come back, mainly in the fifth inning when the Aztecs had runners on the corners with one out. However, junior second baseman Katie Mathis and freshman shortstop Monica Downey both struck out back-to-back to end the inning. Needless to say, the Aztecs put up a good fight against one of the best teams in the country.

Up Next:

SDSU will compete next in the San Diego Classic I today through March 3 at the University of San Diego, where the Aztecs will first face off at 6 p.m. against Brigham Young University.