SDSU grabs two wins at Fresno State Classic

Facing three ranked teams in the most competitive tournament of the season, the Aztecs finished 2-3 in the Fresno State Classic. The Aztecs now stand at 12-12 of the season.

Game 1: SDSU 7, Iowa State 4 (9 inn.)

The Aztecs won their most dramatic game of the season against Iowa State (10-10), thanks to the hot bat of sophomore outfielder Kayla Jordan, who blasted a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning to kick the tournament off with an Aztec victory. Senior pitcher Rebecca Arbino dominated the mound, throwing a no-hitter through 6 1/3 innings, until Cyclones senior pitcher Tori Torrescano hit a solo home run to tie the game at 1-1. The game continued through the eighth inning using the international tiebreaker rule as both teams scored runs. Things became tense  for the Aztecs in the ninth inning, when Torrescano hit another home run, scoring two runs to give the Cyclones the 4-2 lead. Jordan answered the challenge in the bottom of the ninth with her grand slam. Arbino struck out a career high 15 batters, which tied her for second most in school history.

Game 2: No. 9/8 Oregon 3, SDSU 2

The Aztecs continually fought against a nationally ranked team, but couldn’t quite seal the win. University of Oregon junior infielder Courntey Ceo scored the game-winning run off a drag bunt single to give the Ducks (21-4) the win. After trailing 2-0 in the third inning, senior pitcher Kamerin May hit a single that brought in freshman utility Leia Ruiz. Sophomore outfielder Kayla Jordan also scored on a heads-up running play to tie the game, but the Ducks escaped the inning without further harm. Freshman left-hander Danielle O’Toole gave up 10 hits and three runs (two earned) in 6.2 innings.

Game 3: No. 6/6 University of California 1, SDSU 0

In arguably the quietest game for the Aztecs, the team fell to another ranked team in another close match-up. The Aztecs had a chance early in the game, with the help of a leadoff triple by junior utility Lorena Bauer in the bottom of the second, but could not get her across. The Golden Bears answered in the top of the seventh when freshman outfielder Khala Taylor singled home Cal senior pitcher Jolene Henderson to secure the win.

Game 4: SDSU 7, Saint Mary’s 0

The Aztecs got back on the winning track, shutting out Saint Mary’s. O’Toole (5-5) pitched one of her best games of the season, only allowing four hits in the complete game shutout. SDSU silenced the Gaels in the third inning, scoring five runs. In one of her hottest games at the plate, Jordan was 2 for 4 with a double, a triple, an RBI and two runs scored to lead the Aztecs.

Game 5: No. 23/rv Oregon State 9, SDSU 5

The first inning looked promising for the Aztecs, with all signs pointing toward SDSU’s first win against a ranked team. Bauer started the charge for the Aztecs, singling up the middle to score Jordan and junior utility Katie Mathis to give the Aztecs the early lead at 2-0. In the fourth, Mathis doubled to score redshirt freshman outfielder Victoria Kobold, who reached base on a walk. The Aztecs were closer and closer, until the Beavers (20-4) broke the game open, scoring eight runs in the fourth inning. Arbino (7-7) picked up the loss.