A.S. president-elect: Josh Morse

03_21_13_News_JoshMorse_AZLast Thursday, finance junior Josh Morse became the 2013-14 Associated Students president.

Morse said his main agenda item is to instill Aztec pride in every student by reaching out to student organizations that aren’t getting adequate attention by A.S.

“I want everyone to leave a proud Aztec,” Morse said.

Morse is adamant about increasing student involvement on campus and said he feels it’s imperative for students to do more outside of class to feel connected.

Morse became involved in many aspects of San Diego State life. But, it wasn’t easy, the San Diego native and Point Loma High School graduate had to overcome hardships to get where he is today.

At 12 years old, he found himself homeless, relying on the kindness and spare rooms or couches of friends and relatives.  After living in foster homes for almost a year, he was taken in by the Klein family.

“I am very blessed and very honored that I am here at the university studying, ” Morse said. “I understand what it’s like to have zero opportunities, to be at the bottom of the barrel. My abilities, compassion and ambition make me a great leader and I want to give back through my leadership because I genuinely care and I want to help people.”

He said about 10 percent of foster youth will get a chance to go to college, and only one percent will actually graduate. These staggering statistics have humbled and motivated Morse to take advantage of opportunities and to reach out and give back.

Morse advises prospective students to be involved, get a mentor and to not be afraid to ask questions.

“It may seem intimidating on a campus of more than 30,000 students, but it’s so important to ask questions,” Morse said.

As a freshman, Morse was encouraged by 2010 A.S. President Grant Mack to join the Freshman Leadership Experience. Since then, Morse has joined numerous clubs and organizations on campus including various A.S. boards and committees, the Guardian Scholars Program, the surf team and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

“Jump in and enjoy it,” Morse said. “It goes by so fast and there are so many opportunities and resources available to you, that really the potential is endless.”

He encourages prospective students to come to the university and be an Aztec, not just a student.

“Don’t be afraid to try new things—that’s what college is all about,” Morse said. “It’s a learning experience. The more opportunities you take, you’re really going to find out what best suits you.”

Morse recalls his very first Aztec night—Tiempo Del Sol—as one of the highlights of his college career.

Morse said he was in awe, knowing that he made it to the university of his dreams. He attributes that very moment as the birth of his Aztec pride and love.

Upon graduating, Morse plans to apply to University of California, Los Angeles School of Law.

A.S. president-elect: Josh Morse