Students advised to choose roommates wisely

Now that spring break has ended, it’s time to get into the groove of things, and I’m not just talking about school. With only four weeks left, it’s that time of the year when students are scrambling to find that perfect roommate and apartment or home for next semester. With the constant advertisements on bulletin boards and poles around campus it’s time students think about their living situations. While some college students probably have it figured out, others may not know how to go about looking for a roommate or dealing with the major transition from the residence halls to an actual apartment.

“I’m worried about not having that school support, It’ll be strange to truly be on my own for the first time in my life,” journalism and media studies junior Morgan Rudin said.

In addition to studying for upcoming finals, finding a roommate can be tough, but here are a few useful tips you can use while conducting your search.

Firstly, make sure you and your potential roommates are compatible. Having similar personalities is imperative when considering a roommate. It leads to fewer arguments and better communication skills when dealing with different house chores. A big issue is making sure a potential roommate is clean and organized. Having those qualities are important because nobody wants to be the mother figure and clean up after everyone.

Going out for lunch, biking or hiking are great ways to bond with a potential roommate. Getting to know each other on a more personal level and building that friendship is helpful when dealing with daily routines in the household.

Some may want to live with a large group of people while others may just want to share with one other person. If you’re a quiet homebody, having one other roommate who isn’t loud or eccentric is recommended.

“I think that it would be more fun to live with a large group of people as well as more affordable, but I think that it’s easier to encounter problems like arguments between roommates and issues with paying rent on time,” journalism and media studies junior Kika Gutierrez said.

Looking for a roommate doesn’t come as easily as some people would hope. Most people lean toward friends or Facebook to search for a roommate. Another recommended source for finding roommates is via Craigslist. When you get a response, the first thing I suggest is meeting for coffee. Be prepared with a list of questions, such as “How do you feel about sharing kitchen supplies and even foods?” or “Are you quiet or are you social?”

Also, make sure your potential roommate has the same views as you when it comes to significant others. Coming home at 1 a.m. with your beau can be a definite red flag. No one wants to hear lip-smacking, especially when they’re trying to sleep. Try to find someone who’s willing to create a set of house rules both of you can agree on.  Address uncomfortable situations before they occur, which will lead to less stress and a better living situation for all.

Financial stability is also a big quality to look for in a roommate. You need him or her to be able to pay the bills on time. Another important trait to look for in a roommate is trustworthiness. Having the confidence he or she will not go looking through your personal belongings is a must.

When it comes to finding a roommate, budgeting is an essential responsibility. Agreeing on money can be a problem, especially because college students usually are on a tight budget, it makes it that much more difficult. Letting a potential roommate know about your financial situation upfront is vital because you can discuss how much you are both willing to spend.

Roommates can be hard to deal with. But if you put time and effort into searching for the perfect one, it can lead to an easier semester, a new friend and some
great memories.