SDSU splits with UC Riverside and USD

UCR 6, SDSU 5

The Aztecs, who are currently receiving votes in the ESPN/USA Softball poll, had a lot of momentum going into this contest against the Highlanders. The game was neck-and-neck until the fifth inning, when redshirt junior outfielder Patrice Jackson gave the Aztecs a 5-2 lead. Jackson blasted her team-leading 11th home run of the season, bringing in sophomore outfielder Kayla Jordan and senior shortstop Tiffany Corder. Corder played very well for SDSU, going two for two with two walks, an RBI and a run. All of the hard work in that inning collapsed when UCR freshman pitcher Ashley Ercolano hit a two-run home run in the fifth and freshman utility Natalie Sanchez hit a solo home run to put a dagger in the Aztecs’ hearts. Senior pitcher Rebecca Arbino struggled against the Highlanders, allowing five runs (four earned) on five hits and three walks in more than 3.2 innings pitched. Senior catcher Kristin May continued her impressive streak of nine multi-hit games this season.

SDSU 4, USD 1

The Aztecs got back on the winning track, beating crosstown softball rival the USD Toreros for the second time this season. Through five innings, the game remained knotted up at 1-1. Seldom-used sophomore catcher Kaitlin Connors came up big for the Aztecs, hitting a pinch-hit triple to score freshman shortstop Monica Downey, who reached base on a fielder’s choice. Jordan continued the spark for the Aztecs hitting a single that scored another run to give SDSU the lead for good. In the seventh inning, Corder continued the hot streak for the Aztecs by hitting another triple that scored another run. Arbino bounced back at the right time. After picking up the loss against UCR, she struck out eight batters and only allowed one unearned run. This game tied the school record for three triples in one game. SDSU is now 53-3 all-time against the Toreros.

Next Up:

SDSU plays a three-game series against Boise State University Friday through Sunday.

SDSU splits with UC Riverside and USD