Gov. Brown signs bill to eliminate tuition for CSU student trustees

File photo. Governor Jerry Brown on Wednesday signed the state budget for fiscal year 2019, giving the CSU system an almost-$200 million increase.
Renee C. Byer/SacramentoBee

On Aug. 27, Gov. Jerry Brown signed measure SB 325 to waive tuition for California State University student trustees. The bill would also give sophomores the opportunity to become student trustees, a position previously reserved for juniors, seniors and graduate students. Former San Diego State dean and current state senator Marty Block said SB 325, sponsored by the California State Student Association, would now allow “about 100,000 more students a greater opportunity to serve in a trustee position.”

Block said because of his work with Associated Students, during his time at SDSU, he was able to witness exemplary leadership from underclassmen. He reasoned sophomores should be allowed the chance to be leaders and serve as student trustees.

“The CSU Board of Trustees sets all the important policies like enrollment growth and disciplinary measures … Having a student voice on the committee is critical,” Block said. “Having people that are in touch with what happens at the university is important. Students bring a critical and valuable in-the-trenches perspective to the deliberations of the trustees and their decision making.”

In addition, both California State Student Association President Sarah Couch and Block acknowledge the tuition waiver will allow student trustees to perform to the best of their abilities as representatives because they will free of financial constraints from school fees.

“Our student trustees are very responsible about their position and dedicate incredible amounts of time,” Couch said. “We want to make sure that every student has the opportunity to represent their peers and do so effectively.”

For years CSSA, formerly known as the California State Student President’s Association, has been successfully implementing legislation to give students a voice in the CSU system. Since placing the first student trustee on the CSU Board of Trustees in 1975, the student trustee has played a significant role in representing CSU students and voicing their concerns.

Learn more about the CSU Student Trustee position.