Women’s basketball take on USD Toreros

Photo by Wesley Beights, Staff Photographer

Frontcourt:

Aztecs: One of the San Diego State women’s basketball team’s biggest strengths is senior center Cierra Warren, who has paced the Aztecs with an average of 24.5 points in the first two games. Warren’s exceptional scoring has outshone the rest of the frontcourt of Chairese Culberson and Deajanae Scurry who are only averaging 10 points and 11 rebounds between them per game. Their defensive play has been solid and will have to remain that way in order to stop the University of San Diego.

Toreros: Junior forward Sophia Ederaine is averaging 13.5 points and 11 rebounds per game so far and redshirt senior forward Felicia Wijenberg is coming off a career high 15 points against Arizona State University. These two spearhead a versatile, experienced front for the Toreros, who can also play good defense.

Edge: Toreros

Backcourt:

Aztecs: Senior guard Danesha Long is averaging 12.5 points through the first two games, and is the only other player besides Warren averaging in double figures. Freshman guard Ariell Bostick has shown energy and poise when coming off the bench, and can be a game changer for the Aztecs in case things get ugly.

Toreros: Senior guard Amy Kame has been consistent throughout the first two games, with an average of 16.5 points, and three turnovers total. She’s been the orchestrator of a balanced attack that can score from anywhere on the court.

Edge: Aztecs

Coaching:

Aztecs: First year coach Stacie Terry was an assistant coach for 14 years before coming to SDSU with stops at LSU, UCLA, Illinois and Louisville, just to name a few. Terry has plenty of experience coaching, but her limited reserve of head coaching experience will be tested after an 0-2 start facing the upstart Toreros.

Toreros: Cindy Fisher has led USD into territory it has never been before, two consecutive 20-win seasons. Fisher has been the head coach of the Toreros since April 2005, and in that time has led them to their first postseason victory in school history, as well as the best season in school history in 2011-2012. Needless to say, Fisher has a proven track record including a World Class Coaching Co-Coach of the Year honor in 2007. Her experience will prove invaluable.

Edge: Toreros

Intangibles:

Aztecs: The Aztecs have endured a tough start to the season with losses at Sacramento State and the University of Southern California. Both of those games have been losses by four points. But on the road, the 0-2 start doesn’t tell the whole story. The Aztecs will be playing at home this time around and that could be the edge SDSU needs to get their first win of the season.

Toreros: USD will be coming into this game on the back of a 2-0 start with a huge home opener win against Arizona State. The Toreros will be brimming with confidence and have all the momentum coming in. The Aztecs will be looking to avenge last year’s 58-54 loss.

Edge: Toreros

Prediction: 
Toreros 75 Aztecs 70

Women’s basketball take on USD Toreros